Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser freezes the motion at photography

The Finnish company Cavitar has system for extreme photos via diode lasers lighting solutions. It gives ability to shoot million pictures in second, that freezes a bullet!

According to Tekniikka & Talous -magazine:
Laservalonlähde toimii kuin salamavalo. Valaisuaika vaihtelee 50 nanosekunnin ja 10 mikrosekunnin välillä.
A laser light source works like a flash. The Exposure time varies from 50 nano seconds to 10 micro seconds.
(Translation by me)

Benm

Thats pretty cool! I'm surprised its actually a diode laser. I'd reckon you can get even higher speeds using q-switched yags and such, but apparently they are able to drive these diodes to extreme power with a short duty cycle. I wonder what's in there :)

3zuli

very interesting. I wonder how do they achieve such short pulses with diode... and if it is DIYable :cool:

it's more the peak power I'm interested in, 10Gbps fiber networks use laser diodes which need to make pulses as short as 100 picosecond.

Benm

I think the one one networks are fast, but the peaks are not particularly powerful. A diode may run, for example, with 100 ps on/off intervals and an average power of 1 mW, resulting in a peak power of 2 mW.

Perhaps the camera system uses a diode bar/array*, but it doesnt need a huge heatsink since the duty cycle is low. They also state that the light is not (very) coherent, which would support the multi-emitter bar theory.

* like this: COHERENT 40W @43A 808nm LASER DIODE BAR for DPSS YAG#17 - eBay (item 250759771119 end time Feb-17-11 08:51:00 PST)

Cavilux -product family
The pulsed light power is typically several hundreds of watts, and the brightness can be millions of times higher than in LED light sources.
(C) Cavitar

So you don't have to guess. The most can be found in their web site :whistle:

Benm

I don't see how that statement explains what the light source actually is.

I've found that its 810 nm, and diode based, which leads me to the diode bars. I'm not sure if those are suited for such high energy pulses though. I've seen the 20 and 40 watt versions for sale, but wether or not those can be operated in pulse mode up to 'several hundred watts' remains to be seen.

@Benm It seems we think this from different point of view. I think what it can do and you how. Peace

Benm

I suppose so - i think we agree -what- it does, but i'm still quite curious how it actually works. Bad habit, i suppose :D

We should open a post for the 1001 uses for lasers! maybe a coffee book even.

Benm
Re: Laser freezes the motion at photography
I suppose so - i think we agree -what- it does, but i'm still quite curious how it actually works. Bad habit, i suppose

I think that's what is beautiful about the mind. to see how things work and picture it in one's mind, is a rare thing among species, and seemingly getting rarer in humans. Benm have you written to them with an inquiry? It seems you have quite the knowledge with math/science. Try, maybe they will email you back. You would be able to better understand than most here, and you can break it down for us.