Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser found in DVD burner - any use?

So i just took apart an old DVD burner. And found a, what i think, odd laser.
And wanted to ask you if it were to any use, before wasting time on something worth noting. Or some invisible laser that i most likely will avoid.

Link to album: laser - Imgur

Last edited:

What do you think is odd about it? Try to google ts-h552 diode, looks like it's a regular 16x 5.6mm closed can.

Well i am pretty new at all this laser stuff, so all i know is the standard looking diodes from 5 mvlaserpins. But thanks for the fast reply.

Is the laser then good to be used ?

yeah, it should be fine to use. You know, you'll need a driver and a test load to set the driver and of course an aixiz module, a proper heat sink would be optional. Do you know what you are going to use as a host? I wouldn't try to push that diode past 250mA, consider it a Senkat red diode (search the forum for Senkat red).

....and the goggles don't forget about those :) ....sorry if you already knew all that ;)

Last edited:
I thank you for all the information.
I have been looking at the drivers and such, and i am just getting to understand it all :)
- And as a start i will not worry about the host. I just want it to work whiteout destroying the diode :)

Zeebit

To avoid damaging the laser you will need a driver and a module but you should only run it for a few seconds because the module won't provide adequate heatsinking.