Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser for use in the cold.

Hello. I live in Siberia and need a frost-resistant portable laser. Green, ~50mw.
Please advise something. At least down to -10 on Celsius (Ideal to -40).

Last edited:

ARG

That will be very difficult to find as KTP (the pump medium for 532nm) does not operate well in very cold temperatures, it would have to have temperature regulation inside the laser to make it work.

A diode laser would work much better, as they work in cold temperatures.

Last edited:
I meant DPSS.
Something like this size
HTML:
http://www.laserbtb.com/productshow.asp?id=77
or
HTML:
http://www.laserglow.com/GAR

Last edited:
Expanding on what ARGLaser said, diode lasers are a whole lot more resilient.

With temperature regulation something might be possible, but it would have to be custom made, since most lasers, if they do have, are only meant to regulate heat build up.

I've used 445nm lasers in -10 C weather without any problems. Actually probably down to -15 or so, but not lower. I used my lasers a lot over a new years trip to vermont and temperature was well below zero most of the trip. The laser(s) were kept in my pocket so they weren't completely cold to start off with.

I try not to go places much colder :p

Do you specifically need dpss? If not a blue or red laser would work better, although you're not going to get the same visibility with red as you will with blue.

That will be very difficult to find as KTP (the pump medium for 532nm) does not operate well in very cold temperatures, it would have to have temperature regulation inside the laser to make it work.

A diode laser would work much better, as they work in cold temperatures.

Last edited:

DJNY

You should ask someone to build a laser without a heatsink :D

Honestly, the less temperature sensitive crystals for the 532nm are going to cost a lot more than the cheap modules most of us have.

My first laser, a 200mW O-Like 532nm was working very well in deep temperatures.

The Skylasers/laserbtb are good, but they don´t work well at low temperature.

Hemlock Mike and others have run into problems with their skylasers/btb lasers, and were told they were "summer lasers" lol...

DPSS to just buy a new diode (if the old burn), because low price.
Maybe laserglow "winter lasers"? :san:

Last edited:
Looked blue pointer, too hard to see even 100 mW. 1 watt is inconvenient to use, because that needs glasses. Have to be satisfied until 532 DPSS and wait the diode at 520 nm. Thanks for all!

Last edited: