Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

laser finds underground city

MrHurt

The laser technology, known as lidar, works by firing laser pulses from an aircraft to the ground and measuring the distance to create a detailed, three-dimensional map of the area. It's a useful tool for archaeologists because the lasers can penetrate dense vegetation and cover swaths of ground far faster than they could be analyzed on foot. Lidar has been used to explore other archaeological sites, such as Stonehenge.

Thats from the article... I searched "Lidar" and its just basically a combination of "laser" and "radar". Pretty much the same way a ultra sound works... Waves of sound is sent through an "object", during which the time taken to come back to the hosting source is measured, and when they bounce back they display an image. In this case, the light is received again and measured. Of course light travels faster then sound...

Check this Link Out...
http://www.optech.ca/aboutlaser.htm

In case you dont want to, heres the summary:
1-Laser generates an optical pulse.
2-Pulse is refelcted off an object and returns to the system receiver.
3-High-speed counter measures the time of flight from start to return pulse.
4-Time measured is converted to distance by using formula:
Distance = (Speed of light x Time of Flight) / 2

AS for laser type...
Airborne LiDAR systems use 1064nm diode pumped YAG lasers whilst Bathymetric systems use 532nm double diode pumped YAG lasers which penetrate water with much less attenuation than the airborne 1064nm version. Better resolution can be achieved with shorter pulses provided the receiver detector and electronics have sufficient bandwidth to cope with the increased data flow.

Above taken from How LiDAR works - LiDAR-UK

Hope this Helps!

Cool. That makes sense. I just assumed they were using JUST IR.

Last edited:

MrHurt

Actually, it IS IR lol
Anything above 780nm is considered IR light. Not visible. Anything BELOW 400nm is UV

Hope this helps.

Actually, it IS IR lol Anything above 780nm is considered IR light. Not visible. Anything BELOW 400nm is UV
Um, yea that's what I said that I thought it was just IR alone. Didn't know about the radar. That's one problem with Yahoo, they leave out info. In my home town (Chattanooga)we have an old underground part of a city. They had to build on top of it because when the river got high it would flood out. Makes me wonder what kinds of technology, both architechtually and intellectual gets 'buried'.

MrHurt

Ohhh okay lol I read your reply wrong. The bad is mine. Lol and who knows? When I was a kid I remember daydreaming about discovering Atlantis and cities of such... I loved the idea of superior technology to ours made by a civilization long ago.

Ehh... Who knows?... It doesn't hurt to wonder.

I think it's a fabulous technology, and ranks way up there in cool jobs to get to play with lasers all day!