Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser Diode Replacement help

neeko

Hello Everybody :)

I'm new to the forum, and it was through some research into my problem that I happened to find you guys.

I'm very big into outdoor recreation so it comes to no surprise that I'm also very big into Airsoft and Paintball.

I've been in the sport for about 13 years now and have pretty much backed off of the "playing" and more into tuning and building.

Now on my spare time, I tune and build alot of custom guns for both Airsoft and Paintball. Of course, I am only limited to the tools I have and with no access to any milling machines, I am only as good as my hands and eye are.

Which brings me to my current problem;

I recently acquired from a friend, a G&P(Company) paq-4 replica. Unlike the real thing, this is just a real fancy housing for a red laser used for target designating.
Link: G&P PAQ IV Laser Sight with Pressure Switch

Now my dilemma is that the reason I was able to acquire this bundle of joy is that my friend wanted to convert it to a IR(Invisible) laser for night vision use(gen1+) by swapping out the Red Laser diode with one found on ebay. Suffice to say, he never finished the project and I got to keep the remaining guts free of charge :)

Now from what I can tell, everything is still here minus the diode. The PCB board that was originally used for the red diode is still here minus the diode. All housing structures are intact and pretty much everything is good to go minus the diode.

My question here is that is there anyone out there that can assist me in locating a replacement red diode? I really want to fix this thing up and get it working again.

On a side note; aside from replacing it with a red diode, are other diodes a drop in swap or will it require a different pcb board to supply the necessary whatever it supplies?

Much appreciation and thanks to anyone who can provide input :)

IR's are case positive and Reds are case negative. The PCB may or may not work if you change polarity. You will probably need an AixiZ module for the IR diode and a new driver. You can find the driver information in the Driver section of the forum. Some members have IR's for sale so look in the BST section, and as a last resort go to Ebay. You will want a 5.6mm diode.

neeko

Thanks for the input!

Does anyone know of any good reads inregards to case positive and case negative? What exactly does this mean?

A quick search on google yields no results. Is this referring to the crystals or battery input?

The AixiZ module looks like the laser housing. Just that, that one looks to be made of aluminum (or stainless steel) rather then the one I have which is brass.

Been doing some reading during break time at work. All this stuff sounds so complicated at first.

hopefully I could get a proper foothold before I blind myself :evil: