Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

LASER Diode - IR Problem

Most lasers produces some IR, but if your laser isn't very high powered (500mW+) it shouldn't be a problem.
I can't tell from the information you gave me if the laser you're looking at will produce IR, but there's no need for a filter if it's not too powerfull.

hmm... Maybe I should change my question, cos I ve read now more about green lasers and seems that IR produces only IR diode, which is used only in green lasers with crystals to get green wavelength.... this should be the solution. So if I wanna buy red diode, no IR will be producet, wont it?

edit; btw. is The IR diode used for all non-red lasers ? (blue, violet, yellow)

Last edited:
Well, yes and no.

In 660 nm lasers there should be no infared light, but the infared light emitted from green lasers is actually red; meaning that red lasers with a suspiciously low or high nm probably are somewhat emitting infared light.
Remember that DPSS lasers (around 677 nm) emits IR.

Most non-red lasers emits IR.

But then again, the IR light isn't dangerous if it the laser isn't very powerful.
If the laser isn't very visible compared to other lasers at the same strenght, it's probably emitting IR.

Last edited:

Drew

That is a 660nm diode and will emit red light at that wavelength only. The only lasers that emit IR are: IR diodes, and DPSS that use IR diodes to pump a gain medium to emit a different wavelenght. I don't know much about gas lasers so I can't say about those.

You can get 660nm diodes capable of ~250mW for ~$15. They are lpc-815 in optical drives called "sleds" and lpc-826 as new diodes. The 20mW one is much safer and a good place to start and practice

Last edited:
jellex900 is wildly confused. 660nm diodes produce no IR. Only IR lasers (or lasers with IR pumps) can produce IR.

I said 660nm red didn't emit IR.
Green lasers does normally emit some IR.

Cyparagon would be referring to these comments.
Most lasers produces some IR, but if your laser isn't very high powered (500mW+) it shouldn't be a problem.
meaning that red lasers with a suspiciously low or high nm probably are somewhat emitting infared light.
Remember that DPSS lasers (around 677 nm) emits IR.

Most non-red lasers emits IR.
I'm afraid these comments are confused & incorrect.

Red, blue 445,450nm, bluray(violet) 405nm has zero IR. Also any new diode laser colors they come out with will be IR free.

Only DPSS uses IR & the only DPSS laser your likely to run into is 532nm green. There are others but they are quite a bit more costly & will mostly likely be IR filtered. Green 532nm can easily be IR filtered but unless they claim it is they just cheap out & leave it off. You can add your own IR filter.

Also I think perhaps you mean 671nm instead of 677nm.

@fricek12 Yellow would be DPSS but they will most likely be IR filtered.

Last edited:
Thank You all for info.

btw. (I will use this thread for minor question)
What about laser diodes in old PC mechanics ?
1) CD-R/RW
2) DVD-R
3) DVD-R/RW

I know that every model is different, but mainly...can be said all of them dont have DPSS system and all of them are red laser diodes without invisible IR/UR light?

Drew

Dvd is red ~660nm. Cd is ~780nm NIR if i remember correctly. Both are diodes

Last edited:
Dvd is red ~660nm. Cd is ~780nm NIR if i remember correctly. Both are diodes

Thanks for quick reply...
Last question :) ... whats the wavelength of the IR diode used in green 532nm DPSS ? 780 or higher?

I can't tell from the information you gave me if the laser you're looking at will produce IR, but there's no need for a filter if it's not too powerfull.

Lasers are monochromatic... one wavelength of light is produced.

Then not all lasers are monochromatic, how else would you explain a multiline argon laser? A DPSSFD 532nm laser may have 532nm, 1064nm AND 808nm coming out if it didn't have an IR filter. DPSS lasers exist in a lot of wavelength, but besides 532nm you won't seee them much. After 473nm and the 2 yellow it really gets rare.

Then not all lasers are monochromatic, how else would you explain a multiline argon laser? A DPSSFD 532nm laser may have 532nm, 1064nm AND 808nm coming out if it didn't have an IR filter. DPSS lasers exist in a lot of wavelength, but besides 532nm you won't seee them much. After 473nm and the 2 yellow it really gets rare.

Oops I meant to say laser diodes, not lasers. But now thinking back I'm probably wrong about that.