Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser Diode HP 2200

This is my first post of many to come so bear with me.

I pulled a laser assembly from an HP 2200 laser jet printer the other day, and would like to know what wavelength, and power rating it has.

The laser diode is a 4 pin module. One for the visible laser, one for the infrared, one for the common ground, and another for the photo diode.

The laser diode is mounted on a small circuit board that has an IC on it. I have tried to find the datasheet for the IC, but no luck.

I believe the IC is a high frequency diode array, but that is just a hunch.

Has anyone else ran into these?

FA9TV8SG5KP7NSJ.LARGE.jpg

Last edited:

Laser printer lasers are usually low-powered invisible IR in the upper 700nm range. Not really worth messing with as the outcome will be far less than spectacular.

Thanks ElectroFreak for your help.

On the case of the laser/scanner assembly it has the normal laser warning sticker. On the sticker it says the unit contains a class 3B laser.

Wouldn't this make the laser diode a little more useful?

At this point I am only interested in getting the laser to work so I can use the whole unit as a line laser for 3D model scanning.

However, sometime in the very near future I would like to be able to do some laser burning with an XYZ cnc machine that I plan on building.

A IIIB laser is anything over 4.95mW, so unfortunately simply meeting the requirements of class IIIB doesn't guarantee any real power output.