Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser Diode Efficiency

I know the concept of electronic efficiency, power output over power consumed etc etc... But is there a list/source of laser diode efficiency percentages that anyone knows about? I'd usually calculate it myself, but I thought I'd ask. Any specific diodes that have really nice efficiency, is there any efficiency pattern per wavelength that I should know about? e.g. ___nm is usually xx% efficient? Thanks for any help.

-EP

OVNI

I know the concept of electronic efficiency, power output over power consumed etc etc... But is there a list/source of laser diode efficiency percentages that anyone knows about? I'd usually calculate it myself, but I thought I'd ask. Any specific diodes that have really nice efficiency, is there any efficiency pattern per wavelength that I should know about? e.g. ___nm is usually xx% efficient? Thanks for any help.

-EP

DTR's website in the diode section is chock-full of pictures where he measures the voltage and current into a LD and the optical power out. So while a little tedious, you can calculate the efficiencies of a lot of diodes. Perhaps someone here has already generated a table or even knows a relationship/model.

Last edited:
The BLD that's blue laser diode that media projectors use is constantly being improved for efficiency, why?

More brightness for less waste heat.
Less power consumption.
Less waste heat to dispose of that cost energy and material to move said heat energy.

The BLD and BLED that's blue led have surpassed all others in efficiency by so much that our home lights, flashlights, headlights and more are converting to BLED pumping phosphor, even new media projectors are using the BLD to pump phosphors to make green, red, and brighter blue via of pumping highly efficient phosphors, just look at panas0n1cs line of SolidShine projectors for 2016, all BLD's pumping phosphors, no red led, no BLED just BLD, the king of efficiency and growing, I think it's amazing and hope to see it become even more legendary.

p.s. ElectricPlasma you will likely have to search all those numbers yourself, but if you watch DTR's measurements you can see they keep getting more efficient.

Last edited:
The most basic way(without other factorsin play).
(Laser output /(input current x voltage). )x100

Thanks for the replies everyone, very helpful especially regarding my lacking - now fulfilled - knowledge of laser efficiency. Thanks Isaac for the formula, that's what I was using before inquiring further knowledge on this topic (via this thread). Thanks a ton RCB, that's basically exactly what I was looking for, thanks for that information. I am mainly focusing on how much heat I'll be getting from a specific diode, as I will be creating a host using DTR's 22mm modules, and this information will be very useful for the future as well.

laser diodes that produce lower energy photons such as 808nm , are more effect than laser diodes such as 445nm , They have a lower forward voltages due to lower photon energy / band gap ( one reason anyway )

I had a 940nm diode that did 7W at the fibre tip @ 8.2A / 1.9V

Last edited: