Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Laser Contest #1 - 3rd Place Tiebreaker!

Who has the best laser under $100?

• Atomicrox

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • wannaburnstuff

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • TheDukeAnumber1

Votes: 5 21.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gun

Hello,

So as most of you know, in the current laser contest there is a tie for 3rd place between Atomicrox, wannaburnstuff and TheDukeAnumber1. The entries of the 3 contestants have been edited into this thread. We are voting on who has the best laser under $100, 'best' is classified by your own opinion of what you classify as 'best'.

You can only vote for one person to avoid another tie, the poll will close on 06-18-2013 at 06:41 PM, Australian time (24 hours from when the poll was created).

Atomicrox

Here is.... The Green Box!
It was modded from a "300mW" pen that fell and broke.
The pen costed me $50 on DX. I also had to swap the broken lens, the new one was from a $8 10mW module. I already had the box + switch + battery holder but I'm pretty sure they didn't cost another $42 :p

I'm quite sure I can't compete with the builders around here but I really like this laser because:
-It's a freaking box. It can stand on the "tail" or any other side. You can even use it as a room illuminator if you want to :)
-It's still small enough to use as a pointer. Not unconfortable to hold, either.
-It has a double switch and you can leave the batts in without fear of discharge. You also don't have to keep pressing it and it doesn't look like a clicky XD
-It did 145.3mW peak, 135.6mW avg on my Ophir yesterday. Not quite the 300mW the pen was announced as but surely bright enough to show off.
-Last but not least - I built it out of very cheap stuff!

As a side note, I really think we should have more non-round hosts - besides the labbies that need external power.

Edit: better beamshot and added lens cost.
wannaburnstuff

Here is my entry, just made it tonight :) It is a 160mW Single Mode 638nm Laser in a Stainless Steel Aurora Host w/ Gold Plated Copper Heatsink and Aluminum Focus Adapter.

Parts List:
Host/Heatsink/Focus Adapter = 30 Dollars via Cheech226
Diode/Module/Lens = 45 Dollarsm Dollars via DTR (2x for 90)
Driver = 20 Dollars via Cajunlasers (a little less when coupon is taken into account)
Total Cost: 95 Dollars

If you count batteries, it puts me up to $99.60.....cutting it close :D

HERE is the thread for this build for those who wish to see more :)

TheDukeAnumber1

3-Mode M140 builds

These little beasts are great EDC lasers. Pushing 330am on high, 90am on low, and strobe.

Cost of the black one-
$54 - diode in module w/ lens
$15 copper heat sink
$5 host + driver
$1 for flux & epoxy

$75 - Total

- The silver one comes in a little higher with the tricked out lenses on it.

Build threads for both lasers are here.

http://laserpointerforums.com/f65/sharp-looking-3-mode-mini-pic-heavy-79016.html
http://laserpointerforums.com/f52/cree-q5-made-into-3-mode-445nm-78739.html

Vote away ! :wave:

Last edited:

grainde

Hey Gun do you think we could have pictures of all 3 lasers in this thread? It might help people voting, as they can have them in front of them for a direct comparison. Just a suggestion!;) :beer:

Last edited:

Gun

I guess I could just to make it easier. However, the photos and description of Dukeanumber's laser was still in the first thread :)

grainde

Yeah noticed that sorry! Edited my thread above..;) :beer:

Gun

They've been edited in :beer:

I voted for wannaburnstuff, I love both the shiny host and that wavelength :D

sinner

Damn, thats really a hard tie breaker, As much as i love wbs's SS build im really liking those 3-mode mini m140 and you cant deny the ingenuity of atomicrox portagreenie plastic cooled labby..
Its so cool looking n 140mW damn its hard..

I think im going to go with... Voted, only because i like the color..

Last edited:

Gun

^ You're allowed to tell us who you voted for :)

This better not be another tie...

will manners

I love them all ;) but I cant over that single mode colour and that shiny host :)

voted!!!! :D congratulations to all the members who submitted such great builds :gj:
+1 to all :D

Last edited:

EpicHam

Voted Atomicrox's BOXY laser.
I think its growing on me lol
Not in a herpes kinda way , but more of a fungus gently crawling its way into my skin kinda way lol
But seriously, its awesome

Last edited:

lazerphase

Banned
Voted Atomicrox's BOXY laser.
I think its growing on me lol
Not in a herpes kinda way , but more of a fungus gently crawling its way into my skin kinda way lol
But seriously, its awesome
Thanks for putting that image in our minds...

tonyt

Banned
So what happens when it ties again? :yh: lol

Aww its closed! Wow that was quick.. I missed it.

ALSO you should probably have put Australian Time EST! You do know not all of Australia has the same time yeah?

Last edited:

Gun

Congratulations to Atomicrox on claiming 3rd prize in Laser Contest #1 - Best Laser Under $100! :wave:

Yes I do realize this Tony, however next to the poll it does say when it will close in that particular users timezone, so I have no need to tell people what time it closes in my time.

Gun

Also, remember to post suggestions for the next contest in the Contest Support and Suggestions thread! :)

sinner

It would be great if you link to the related threads , in your sig either or in related to postings. This would help more viewrship and result in more voters