Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

laser combining cube-power

Will a polorized combining cube add the power of two lasers together as well as the 2 beams into one? On ebay I asked this question and was told you can add two beams but the power was 50/50 so that the out put would be the same as one beam...is that true or false? If I were to use 2 dvd burning lasers each 250mw then with a cube combiner, would I get a single output of 500mw output with a single beam? If you know then please answer back.

Krutz

yes, you combine two laserbeams into one, with double the power. so far the theory. first, you can only combine two lasers. after that, you cant do anything useful with another PBS, you cant combine 4 lasers with 2 or 3 cubes. second, you will have a somewhat hard time to overlap the two beams you put into the cube. third, you will lose some power. i would guess less than 10%, but thats just a guess. its definitely worth it! in fact, its the only "real" way to combine two (same color) beams. without a PBS, you can only lay several beams side-by-side (look for "mirror cut"), so making the resulting beam larger. last option is to combine different colors, with dichroic mirrors..

in short: get a small PBS from a sled (KES300 ps3 sleds have nice "large" 5mm cubes) and start experimenting! its nice stuff! :)

Manuel

Benm

Will a polorized combining cube add the power of two lasers together as well as the 2 beams into one? On ebay I asked this question and was told you can add two beams but the power was 50/50 so that the out put would be the same as one beam...is that true or false? If I were to use 2 dvd burning lasers each 250mw then with a cube combiner, would I get a single output of 500mw output with a single beam? If you know then please answer back.

The 50/50 refers to the ratio it spits an incoming beam of random polarization.

You can use it to combine 2 250mW lasers into 500 mW (minus losses), provided you mount both lasers at the correct rotation.

check my web site under guides, i have put some details there

is it possible to combine two color lasers? and what happens to the wavelenghts?
for example i combine 20mW 532nm with 80mW 650nm this makes yellow (591nm) right?
or for example 405nm + 532nm makes blue? 468,5nm?

is it possible to combine two color lasers? and what happens to the wavelenghts?
for example i combine 20mW 532nm with 80mW 650nm this makes yellow (591nm) right?
or for example 405nm + 532nm makes blue? 468,5nm?

Yes and no. You would get a yellow color beam BUT it is multiline NOT 591nm.

Generally when combining two different colours you use dichros, not cubes. The cheapest dichro you can find for combining 532 with 660nm or 405nm is in the PHR 803t sled.

hey i just tried it with one from a phr803 but does it matters from wich direction you point the lasers on it?

Yes, it's hard to explain without a picture so do some research on RGV laser. You point the red/violet laser on the larger face.

i have been trying some things but it only works with a 405nm laser and a 650nm laser
it does not works with a 532nm laser then the green gets scatterd :( and the beams dont combine :(
i am from the netherlands krutz and thanks ! :D

Last edited: