Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser classes revised

nes_ds

I don't know if we can trust wikipedia on this...

I tried to google it, with no success.

nes_ds

Ok, this new system is going to take some getting time to adjust to :-? I mean there are 3 class III's ;D

Were they changed again recently or something? I know that class 3R isn't new for the IEC classes, but the definition on wikipedia is either wrong, or part of a recent update, as I remember all the ads about "10mW fat beam" lasershows under the (old?) 3R designation.
I'm confused now, anyone got some light to shed?

pseudonomen137 said:
Were they changed again recently or something? I know that class 3R isn't new for the IEC classes, but the definition on wikipedia is either wrong, or part of a recent update, as I remember all the ads about "10mW fat beam" lasershows under the (old?) 3R designation.

Read the wiki link

steve001 said:
[quote author=pseudonomen137 link=1187556008/0#5 date=1187565638]Were they changed again recently or something? I know that class 3R isn't new for the IEC classes, but the definition on wikipedia is either wrong, or part of a recent update, as I remember all the ads about "10mW fat beam" lasershows under the (old?) 3R designation.

Read the wiki link
[/quote]

I thought my question implied that I had. I have now REread the article and my question stands. Can you please point out what particular section it was you wanted me to read?

pseudonomen137 said:
[quote author=steve001 link=1187556008/0#6 date=1187569185][quote author=pseudonomen137 link=1187556008/0#5 date=1187565638]Were they changed again recently or something? I know that class 3R isn't new for the IEC classes, but the definition on wikipedia is either wrong, or part of a recent update, as I remember all the ads about "10mW fat beam" lasershows under the (old?) 3R designation.

Read the wiki link
[/quote]

I thought my question implied that I had. I have now REread the article and my question stands. Can you please point out what particular section it was you wanted me to read?

[/quote]
I find I can't assume people read anything. The third link directs you to a CDRH doc. dated 6/24/07
Just suggested you read the revised definitions and compare them to the old ones.
That's all I wanted you to do.
I think it's possible to infer at least how this relates to Fat Beam lasers. What was your question, I forget ?

The Australian/New Zealand standard has had 1M, 2M and 3R for a while now.

The Ms simply mean that you should not view the beam with magnifying optics. The 3R in Australia at least replaces 3A. Not sure why the letter change, but the basics are the same.

Class 1: All wavelengths safe for eye and skin exposure at all times.
Class 1M: Class 1 but unsafe for exposure with magnifying optics of any kind.
Class 2: Visible wavelengths only (400-700nm) safe for eye/skin exposure as blink reflex is used to protect the eye. 1mW limit if beam is less than or equal to 7mm diameter. 50mm diameter magnifying optics limit.
Class 2M: Class 2 but unsafe for exposure with magnifying optics of any kind.
Class 3R: Wavelengths 302.5-10^6 nm, with 5xClass 2 limit for 400-700nm and 5xClass 1 limit for other wavelengths. Unsafe for eye exposure, but less than 3B. Safe for skin.
Class 3B: All wavelengths unsafe for eye exposure, but safe for skin exposure. Difuse beam should only be viewed for 10s.
Class 4: Highly unsafe for eye and skin exposure. May cause fire and ionise atmosphere when focused.

I tried to put as much detail as I could, but some of the emission limits required some pretty intense table lookups. The visible range for Class 2 and 3R were the only classed with a defined limit for al kinds of lasers.

damn now i have to change my custom text
<--
class IIIR
but, IIIB once senkat LD arrives

Things

;D ;D ;D ;D i don't know enough about the laser ratings to know what changed?oh well gess i've got some reading to do!