Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser button burned my finger.

Lev

hi, i was trying to get this laser i bought during the summer to work after i finally bought rechargable AAA batteries. After i put them in i pushed the button and i heard a sizzling sound in the laser, then i held the button down for a few seconds and the button got really hot and burned my finger slightly and i immediatly droped it like if i held my finger on a hot pan over an oven. The laser does not work though so i think the laser is broken, I couldnt find anything about the button heating up so i signed up for this website to see what experts will say about it, thanks.
Additional information, its a 532nm + 10 class III laser product and 30 mW. it was cheap but amazed me the night i bought it.

Last edited:

Sounds like a direct short with the battery, the laser could still be fine if the short problem was removed.

Lev

Sounds like a direct short with the battery, the laser could still be fine if the short problem was removed.

I dont know much about Electrical terms, do you mind explaining what you mean? thanks

A "short" is when the electricity in a circuit takes the "short" path to ground - in other words something connected that should NOT have. Instead of the electricity going around in the circuit where it should and being properly controlled, two (or more) things connected/touched that should not have and are causing the problem.

Depending on what things have shorted your laser may or may not be salvagable. I would recommend you see about contacting someone for repairs if possible if the laser was expensive. Lasers are tempermental devices which do not like to be poked around in by someone unfamiliar with electronics.

Lev

A "short" is when the electricity in a circuit takes the "short" path to ground - in other words something connected that should NOT have. Instead of the electricity going around in the circuit where it should and being properly controlled, two (or more) things connected/touched that should not have and are causing the problem.

Depending on what things have shorted your laser may or may not be salvagable. I would recommend you see about contacting someone for repairs if possible if the laser was expensive. Lasers are tempermental devices which do not like to be poked around in by someone unfamiliar with electronics.

Ok thanks, Ill probably just buy another one thanks.

Lev

Looking at it now, looks like a battery might have leaked in it, i see that theres a battery acid stain on both sides of the laser inside and outside the battery tube, Probably from leaving a battery in it for a few months.

Yep it's always a good idea to remove the batteries when you are not using the device.
Also a direct short on the battery could have caused it to over pressure and leak.