Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser Burnt

Laser burnt receipt! Supprisingly it was just a 50mw module burning this, no black ink on it at all although the text did burn quicker than the plain white. Even more supprisingly is the huge hole in the middle of it actually caught fire! First I have heard and seen of a 50mw laser setting fire to paper.

Attachments

• S7300268.JPG
    S7300268.JPG
    428.7 KB · Views: 101

Razako

Either you got some freakishly overpowered unit or your laser has no ir filter and is pouring out 200+ mw of ir.

Razako said:
Either you got some freakishly overpowered unit or your laser has no ir filter and is pouring out 200+ mw of ir.

Its the 50mw unit from dragon lasers, it has a ir filter to my knowledge.

It can burn things from about two meters apart but even at such a short distance the dot it huge.

ixfd64

I think receipts use heat-sensitive paper, so they "burn" more easily.

ixfd64 said:
I think receipts use heat-sensitive paper, so they "burn" more easily.

Not sure about that, bus tickets, reciepts etc. all burn the same. Normal printer paper takes a bit longer but it still burns.

yeah receipts arent normal paper, they are treated with something

Lorgar

Yeah thermal paper put the recipt in a warm frypan and watch it change.
Still suprising it affected the white part (off to find some receipts)

Just tried it
Works well but you need to start on a letter or if it has printing on the back and you start over that.
I couldnt get it to start if it was white on both sides but once it got going on a letter it dosnt stop.
Also lights the whole room up from the reflection

Benm

That it blackens is no surprise, thermally sensitive paper such as receipts usually blacken at temperatures around boiling point.

But if that laser actually sets fire to paper of any sort, it's definitely much more powerful than 50 mW - i'd rather think 500 mW.

Razako

I really can't see it setting the paper on fire Even a 500mw laser has a really hard time lighting paper on fire unless you use matches/fuses/other chemicals.

Receipts are thermal paper so they will turn black under heat. Try drawing on the paper with a laser, it's tricky to time how long to keep the laser on one spot though! It's a chain reaction once the paper turns black, right when it gets warm enough it turns black, and that's when the laser will burn through it!

Will try to get a video tomorrow.

I want to try lighting a match with it but I cant seam to find them at the moment.

Razako

Time to get my 300mw rpl out and burn some receipts. I will be back with results soon.

oh man that is awesome. I saw this and had to try it. Results were successful with my nova x105 that averages 118.4mw

Didn't need a lense or anything. Burns rather fast. Never knew a receipt would burn so easy, especially the white. Only tried it for a minute or two but no flames though

enkryptik said:
oh man that is awesome. I saw this and had to try it. Results were successful with my nova x105 that averages 118.4mw

Didn't need a lense or anything. Burns rather fast. Never knew a receipt would burn so easy, especially the white. Only tried it for a minute or two but no flames though

I cant seam to get it to flame now either, guess I was just lucky last time :p

If you keep burning the black edges you can get it to glow like an amber off a fire so if you do that and give it a gentle blow it does catch fire... although most of the time it just blows it out.

oh, was able to burn printer paper and sticky notes too. used a lense on the printer paper though but it burnt.
I've never tried hard enough before i guess

the paper wont light, theres no flame or spark to light the paper.

the laser will only burn it