Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser battery

I have 1000mw blue laser pointer and using two CR123 battery 3,7v 1300mAh. What if I change the battery using two 18650 battery 3,7v 3200mAh? I wanna try this but I dont have experience before, so I doubt, can somebody help me

The 18650 is twice as long, you would need a battery extension tube to use them.

Alan

Yes that is right, as long the battery cant damage the diode and module, I want to modified the battery tube. But if I used 18650 3200 mAh panasonic battery, what is the risk latter?

Last edited:
Yes that is right, as long the battery cant damage the diode and module, I want to modified the battery tube. But if I used 18650 3200 mAh panasonic battery, what is the risk latter?

There is no risk, to the laser the batteries are the same, the only difference is that you will have much longer runtime before the batteries need recharging.

Alan

Thank you for your answer, OK I will try it and I will report if something wrong to my laser.

I have tested already, and it works, but I havent test for a long time. All I have to do is modifi battery tube. Thank you for all of your answer. And thank you for this forum.

Yep, to give a slightly more thorough answer, voltage is voltage. As long as the added voltage of all the batteries you're using/have stacked in the tube are roughly the same, your diode will be fine. The other numbers you reference (mAh), designate how long the battery will last before it needs to be recharged.

A simple guide to battery designations:
Volts: aka "nominal voltage" tells you roughly how much voltage a battery will put out during most of it's cycle. Lithium ion cells will charge to 4.2, discharge quickly to 3.8-3.6 volts and plateau for quite awhile at that voltage. Then they'll drop rapidly into 3.3-2.8v at which point they should be charged.

mAh: How many hours the battery will supply somewhere between 4.2 and 3.0v if the load is one milliamp. If your load is say, 3 amps, divide mAh by 3,000 to get your (theoretical) run time.

Continuous Drain or "C Rating": How much amperage can the battery safely support if the device remains on for the full cycle of the battery. Pretty basic, and basically any 18650 will support the amperage load any single diode is likely to draw. Some batteries will describe C-Rating as an equation based on a battery's mAh rating, which I don't quite understand. Thankfully to the vaping world, most of the 18350, 18500, 18650 batteries you find these days will have a direct amperage rating listed.

Lastly, the seemingly meaningless numbers in larger li-ion cells (like 18650) actually describe their physical dimensions. The first two numbers describe diameter in millimeters, and the last three numbers describe length. An 18650 battery is 18mm wide and 65.0mm tall. A 14500 battery (basically AA size) is 14mm wide and 50.0mm tall. (I should give a disclaimer on that, as different manufacturers will add or subtract a millimeter or two, especially on the length.)

Last edited:

Pman

Remember that just because you are using a battery for more run time they DON'T change your on/off duty cycle.

Yes, the first reason I wanna change the battery is I wanna have more runtime playing laser

Encap

Remember that just because you are using a battery for more run time they DON'T change your on/off duty cycle.

Yes, the first reason I wanna change the battery is I wanna have more runtime playing laser

Keep in mind what Pman said---the larger batteries will not give you more runtime in sense of duty cycle the you need to obseve to avoid damage to the laser---amount of time on/amount of time off. All the larger batteries will do is give you more runtime in the sense of number of duty cycles in between recharging the batteries.

The other choice would be 2 X 16340 and keep the laser the way it is.

Thank you for giving me explanation, this is just a forum to explain our idea. I want to tell you why I really need runtime, I wanna go fishing that far away from electricity, I wana using laser more than one hour. I have read maximum time laser on, do not switch laser more than 2 minutes, I always remember. Usually I just switch laser for about 20 second, I dont wanna if too long, my laser getting hot, it will damage and reduce laser lifetime. So I will modify laser Battery using 18650 and modify battery tube, and I will try this with my own risk.