Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser Bans/Laws Opinions

Lasers seem to be becoming extremely popular and this popularity is among those that will misuse them. For example, I recently went to Mrytle Beach. You can't walk a few feet without someone shining a 30-50mw green laser in your eyes. These kinds of people are destroying our hobby by causing laws and bans to be put in place. Which infact there are now bans in Mrytle Beach preventing minors from possesing lasers. So what would you predict is going to happen as these issues continue to rise?

DrSid

I totally want lasers to be banned to minors everywhere .. and I'm not against license to be needed for adults. Lasers are dangerous, and readily available power is still increasing ..

ARG

Idiots are the problem, not minors. There are plenty of responsible minors on the forums here, it's the stupid ones that create the problem. Same with adults, there are lots of responsible ones, but also lots of stupid ones.

I think they should just ban handhelds over 1mW everywhere (though it'll never happen in China). Anyone who wants a handheld bad enough can make one themselves, and people who are smart enough to build one are likely (but not always) smart enough to handle it.

Idiots are the problem, not minors. There are plenty of responsible minors on the forums here, it's the stupid ones that create the problem. Same with adults, there are lots of responsible ones, but also lots of stupid ones.

I think they should just ban handhelds over 1mW everywhere (though it'll never happen in China). Anyone who wants a handheld bad enough can make one themselves, and people who are smart enough to build one are likely (but not always) smart enough to handle it.

Good Point, if you're smart enough to build one you should be able to handle it carefully. But if you ban handhelds over 1mw wouldn't that also make DIY lasers illegal?

I totally want lasers to be banned to minors everywhere .. and I'm not against license to be needed for adults. Lasers are dangerous, and readily available power is still increasing ..

What would you suggest for the qualifications to get a license though?

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
I wouldn't restrict minors. There are many safe laserists who are minors and many dangerous adults (think of the news stories about airplanes being lased, many were by "adults"). On the other hand I would be fine with a license for anyone for lasers above 5mW so long as it was available for anyone to apply for. It wouldn't need to be too complicated. Maybe a short class and demo at your local college explaining the power classes, use of goggles, list of no-nos and safe handling followed by a simple written test. Having to go to this trouble would probably eliminate a great deal of the "i wanna laser to burn sh*t" n00bs.

Last edited:
I wouldn't restrict minors. There are many safe laserists who are minors and many dangerous adults (think of the news stories about airplanes being lased, many were by "adults"). On the other hand I would be fine with a license for anyone for lasers above 5mW so long as it was available for anyone to apply for. It wouldn't need to be too complicated. Maybe a short class and demo at your local college explaining the power classes, use of goggles, list of no-nos and safe handling followed by a simple written test. Having to go to this trouble would probably eliminate a great deal of the "i wanna laser to burn sh*t" n00bs.

That seems like a fair way to award licenses. It just seems that those "I wanna laser to burn sh*t" people are around 12. Just look at WLs Facebook page. Its a bunch of 12 year olds that know nothing about lasers but are getting these 1W lasers.

ARG

Good Point, if you're smart enough to build one you should be able to handle it carefully. But if you ban handhelds over 1mw wouldn't that also make DIY lasers illegal?

It would, but if people are using them responsibly and not being a nuisance with the pointers then no one should have reason to turn them into the police.

Such an old discussion *sigh*. No reason not to discuss it though I suppose. Personally, I base my feelings on the apparent lack of real-world cases of public laser-induced injury. By injury I mean physical damage requiring the intervention of a medical professional. There aren't many reported cases of injury, quite a bit fewer than most other dangerous hobbies. Therefore it's my proposal that there be NO further limits, regulations or rules. In fact, I'd like it if there were no regulations other than those governing laser hazards to aviation. IMO if there is no evidence to support a serious problem, then there is no serious problem. It's never a good idea to legislate based on wild hypotheses about what "could" happen. There are already handheld lasers that are deep in class IV territory.. and many are in the hands of youths and probably at least some are in the hands of people (youths or otherwise) who should not have them. And yet there is no epidemic of blinded morons or innocent bystanders. I say wait until there is a real reason for more laws/rules/etc.

Now I've heard the whole "but there could be LOADS of subtle injuries going unreported" argument. It's my position that if that is the case, if the "injuries" are so minor as to go completely unnoticed by the people inflicted with them then there is no real issue. People who listen to loud music a lot might find themselves losing their hearing eventually through gradual subtle injury, but you're not required to present a license in order to buy (or build if you're able) some serious headphones.

^IMO

Last edited:
Such an old discussion *sigh*. No reason not to discuss it though I suppose. Personally, I base my feelings on the apparent lack of real-world cases of public laser-induced injury. By injury I mean physical damage requiring the intervention of a medical professional. There aren't many reported cases of injury, quite a bit fewer than most other dangerous hobbies. Therefore it's my proposal that there be NO further limits, regulations or rules. In fact, I'd like it if there were no regulations other than those governing laser hazards to aviation. IMO if there is no evidence to support a serious problem, then there is no serious problem. It's never a good idea to legislate based on wild hypotheses about what "could" happen. There are already handheld lasers that are deep in class IV territory.. and many are in the hands of youths and probably at least some are in the hands of people (youths or otherwise) who should not have them. And yet there is no epidemic of blinded morons or innocent bystanders. I say wait until there is a real reason for more laws/rules/etc.

Now I've heard the whole "but there could be LOADS of subtle injuries going unreported" argument. It's my position that if that is the case, if the "injuries" are so minor as to go completely unnoticed by the people inflicted with them then there is no real issue. People who listen to loud music a lot might find themselves losing their hearing eventually through gradual subtle injury, but you're not required to present a license in order to buy (or build if you're able) some serious headphones.

^IMO

Exactly, everyhting is being based off what COULD happen. But it seems most issues are actually based off this. Now im not in support of bans but what would happen if there was a ban on lasers as a whole?

In your original post you mention that Myrtle Beach now has rules banning minors from possessing laser pointers. Many localities, municipalities and even individual buildings and addresses have rules banning people from possessing lots of things in public or while on the premises, but the same rules do not apply to possessing them in general, such is in your house or even in public if they remain concealed at all times.

Its the federal regs that I'd like to see reduced or at the very least kept as they are. It's already illegal (via federal law) in the US to give a public performance of any kind with a class IIIb or IV laser unless you've got the necessary certification. The people you're worried about are already covered under those laws and the ones governing aviation. It's just a matter of enforcement.

Last edited:

Of course those of us that built them would then be in violation of the law.

Thats kind of like saying lets just make alcohol illegal and anyone who wants some bad enough can make it themselves. Lets not, and say we did.

Just leave laser laws alone.