Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser Bans Announced Today, NSW Australia

Read it here:

http://news.smh.com.au/laser-possession-to-attract-a-jail-terms/20080421-27ij.html

Laser possession to attract a jail terms

April 21, 2008 - 5:35PM

Carrying a high-powered laser without a permit could attract a 14-year jail term under tough new NSW laws designed to reduce the potential for "mass murder" resulting from laser attacks on planes.

The proposed legislation, which has been modelled on NSW knife laws, will also make it an offence to carry any kind of laser in public without a reasonable explanation.

Under the proposed legislation, high-powered lasers - category 3 and 4 devices - will be classed as prohibited weapons, and possessing one without a permit will be an offence punishable by up to 14 years in jail.

Police will also be able to frisk anyone suspected of carrying a laser, and anyone unable to provide a lawful excuse for possessing one could face two years' jail and a $5,000 fine.

NSW Premier Morris Iemma said the laws were in response to a spate of incidents in which aircraft were targeted with lasers.

Most recently, an air ambulance was picked out by a laser over Sylvania on Saturday night.

The lasers, depending on their strength, can temporarily or even permanently blind pilots, with potentially horrific consequences, Mr Iemma said.

"We are introducing new laws to stop the potential for mass murder when it comes to these hand-held lasers," he said.

"Make no mistake, they are lethal weapons."

NSW Police Commissioner Andrew Scipione said the new powers would make it easier to prosecute people who misused lasers.

"These are stupid people doing stupid things, turning these lasers from what they were supposed to be into lethal weapons," Mr Scipione said.

In the past, police had to catch people in the act of misusing lasers to prosecute them, he said.

The laws will be introduced into the NSW Parliament in May and Mr Iemma said he hoped they could be adopted nationally.

The legislation complements the recent Commonwealth ban on importing high-powered lasers, which can be purchased online for as little as $US50 ($A53.63).

The Australian and International Pilots Association welcomed the plan, saying a national ban would be the best way to deal with the problem.

Teachers, astronomers and builders, who will be among those affected by the laws, accepted the ban on condition it did not interfere with their work.

The Construction, Forestry, Mining and Energy Union (CFMEU) supported keeping lasers "out of the hands of idiots".

"As long as that doesn't end up impinging on the people that actually require them for work," CFMEU spokesman Tim Vollmer said.

Western Sydney Amateur Astronomy Group president Gerry Aart accepted the proposed laws were sensible but said his organisation only used weak lasers as a "brilliant tool" for pointing out phenomena indistinct to the naked eye.

However, Australian Optical Society president Professor Hans Bachor said the blanket ban was an overreaction.

"You can't point (low-powered lasers) at any aircraft over a distance - the effect wouldn't be big enough," he said.

Many people used such pointers and the proposed ban could create a headache for police and the community, he said.

------------------------------------------------

Well, all Class III and IV are now illegal to have in NSW without a permit or reason.

So, thats everything >1mW.

What a fracking joke.

They better not take my 20, 30, 50mW Greens and 200mW Dilda-Lazer coming in the mail.

What's a lawful excuse anyway?!

Surely laser hobbyist just wouldnt cut it.

Where the hell do you get a permit,
they kinda failed to mention that one.

Looks like I'm now the proud owner of Weapons of Mass Murder

Attachments

• Stinkeye_Lasers.gif
    Stinkeye_Lasers.gif
    1.5 MB · Views: 271

Razako

I'm just going to copy my posts from the other topic into this one...
http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/laser-lunatics-face-5000-fines/2008/04/21/12 08629786565.html
"Laser lunatics face $5000 fines"
WTF!
"Police will have powers to frisk people they suspect of carrying lasers and those without reason to have them - such as educators, architects or astronomers - will be fined up to $5000.

NSW Premier Morris Iemma said today the Government would ban the most powerful laser pointers and make it a summary offence to carry any laser pointer without a lawful reason.

Class three and four laser pointers will be declared prohibited weapons and carrying them could attract a maximum penalty of 14 years' jail, he said."
The people planning this law in Australia are retarded for 3 reasons.
1-It will do NOTHING to stop the laser attacks because they idiots already have the lasers.
2-$5000 fine for ANY class 3 pointers is ridiculous. That even includes those cheap keychain reds.
3-They are effectively labeling countless people with various class IIIa laser pointers as "Lunatics who are capable of mass murder" Never mind the fact that anyone with a car can turn into a crazed murderer and drive through a large crowd of people killings dozens.

Looks like you can easily avoid this by using astronomy as an excuse though. Just need to keep a telescope around and you have a legit reason to have lasers.

One more reason why this is ridiculous. What do they expect people to do with the extremely expensive lasers that they already own? No sane person is going to just hand over their x-series/rpl/fusion/other pricey laser unless they get some form of compensation. As a result you end up turning thousands of completely innocent people into criminals for disobeying a retarded ban. It sounds like this ban would include relatively harmless class IIIa lasers like this--> http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.9768. If that is the case it becomes one of the most laughable laws ever. Anyone with 5mw red keychain laser is a lunatic ::) ;D ::) ;D They will probably ban something like HID flashlights next because of some idiot standing on a highway overpass and blinding the people driving underneath it.
I'm glad I live in the USA at times like this.

As I mentioned on IRC, you can spend $500 on a laser from wicked or $400 on a 24 watt HID torch from DX which is completely legal, both have the ability to blind the pilot.
These difficulties come from the common delusion that a 100mw pointer is capable of putting a hole in steel plate at 10 paces. Most people upon hearing the words 'high powered laser' simply overreact.

There are thousands of ways to bring down a plane with legal items. All that is needed is to catch the idiots who try.
What I'd love to know is where do I apply for a permit??
I will put up with having to get a permit or license or whatever so long as I can continue my hobby. I am a responsible user and I don't care at all if the police know I have lasers, so long as it's not gonna get me in trouble just by possessing them.

C

carulli

As i am a teenager the starpointing excuse isnt going to work for me, but who is stupid enough to point a laser at a plane except for a 5 yr old. I just realy hope that the law is one of those laws that no one abides by and no one gets in trouble for it (like puting your left had blinker on when exiting a roundabout) and the 5mw lasers being band thats rediculous!!! ive been hit in the eye from one of these at 5 m and all i got was a n anoying shadow in my eye (like when you look at the sun by accident) for 2 mins. Now whats going to hapen to my 55mw green are they going to buy it of my for retail price, I DONT THINK SO!!!

Razako

carulli said:
As i am a teenager the starpointing excuse isnt going to work for me, but who is stupid enough to point a laser at a plane except for a 5 yr old. I just realy hope that the law is one of those laws that no one abides by and no one gets in trouble for it (like puting your left had blinker on when exiting a roundabout) and the 5mw lasers being band thats rediculous!!! ive been hit in the eye from one of these at 5 m and all i got was a n anoying shadow in my eye (like when you look at the sun by accident) for 2 mins. Now whats going to hapen to my 55mw green are they going to buy it of my for retail price, I DONT THINK SO!!!
No, they expect you to hand it over to the authorities and you get nothing. Are you going to do that? Probably not and a perfect example of why this ban is ridiculous and will do very little. A far better way would be to simply require a registration like they do to buy a gun. In order to get a 'laser permit' you would need to pass a test on safety and be 18 or older. Right now the problem is that anyone with paypal can get a powerful green laser for $25 shipped. Also the AU ban on IIIa lasers is ridiculous. People aren't going to be blinding airplanes from miles away with a 5mw core or dollar store red laser.

It's a freaking joke.

They should've just kept the laws they had,
and brought in stiffer penalties.

Maybe the frisking for a laser in public is valid too.

But banning of everything higher than 1mW?

The idiots who continue to shine them at planes will quite frankly,
CONTINUE TO SHINE THEM AT PLANES.

What the hell does it have to do with the 99.999999% of the laser user population that use them properly?

But no, they just did the blanket ban method.

How typical.

Iemma,
next time you decide to ban something,
do some research instead of watching A Current Affair.

Razako

Dingers said:
It's a freaking joke.

They should've just kept the laws they had.

And had stiffer penalties.

Idiots who continue to shine them at planes will quite frankly,
CONTINUE TO SHINE THEM AT PLANES.

What the hell does it have to do with the 99.999999% of the laser user population.

But no, they just did a blanket method.

How typical.
What do you expect when the media stirs up the public with terms like "WEAPONS OF MASS MURDER" and "LUNATICS WITH LASERS ENDANGERING HUNDREDS!" "WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION" etc etc etc......If you didn't know anything about lasers you would think of something out of starwars that can shoot down airplanes and vaporize people. I'm sure you would want them all banned too in that case.

At least my lasers will be worth significantly more as they have be declared a prohibited item.

I guess an easy way to make money is to chip modules and housing separately then make them here.

You'd basically be a street dealer, of lasers...

Getting the lasers and making them isn't the problem.

It's the possibility state police will kick down my door, arrest me, confiscate my lasers, wave a search warrant in my face and charge and jail me because I tested my lasers for beam visibility outside that is the problem.

Now I have to apply for this "permit".

Which means I probably need to buy a telescope too so I have "lawful reason".

I've always entertained the idea of buying a telescope anyway,
the only reason I haven't is because of the light pollution and the fact it's basically useless where I live because of it.

This is so ttttttttthhhhhhheeeeeee. It doesn't even solve any problems, and it's just trying to scare people because our law enforcement system is too shitty to stop people blinding pilots. If people catch me with my dx30 I will just say it'd be shit for pointing at planes, at the distance the divergence would suck. I suppose they're not even smart enough to even know what that means. The general public should know more about lasers, units under 50mW are difficult to blind people with.

These difficulties come from the common delusion that a 100mw pointer is capable of putting a hole in steel plate at 10 paces. Most people upon hearing the words 'high powered laser' simply overreact.

You hit the nail on the head dude.

im in WA but will the stargazing with a telescope and laser thing work, im under 18 :'( my dad calls australia "another heaven" :mad: BS it is, everything here is expensive, i mean 10 bucks for a cr2 battery :eek: all the "new" games come after every other country gets them, the ps3 release was delayed by a lot :'( i hate people in the government that just love to ban everything that becomes a small threat that can be easily solved without a ban... how do you even get a permit for the lasers any how?

EDIT: by the way, manufacturers should label all lasers being sent to australia as <1mw lasers instead of their true power. that would be an easy fix but customs might get suspicious after a while... cops might not even know what a mw is either.... :-/

I think the registration thingy would have been the first step instead of the drastic ban leap i use my laser at work to point out project locations ex. I'll let my crew know to fix that pipe weld that spot ect i dont bring the dx 200 or the rpl for that thats overkill

freshert said:
im in WA but will the stargazing with a telescope and laser thing work, im under 18 :'( my dad calls australia "another heaven" :mad: BS it is

It's actually a really cool place to live. We have a good environment, decent economy, we're close to Asia, we have good weather, less arseholes/crime than the USA (it had to be said) so the only thing you can really complain about is money and games, which you shouldn't worry about too much. Material posessions aren't the way to enlightenment, maaaaan.

greenm

Where should I buy it from?

I imagine China doesnt fall for this PC crap.

If I bought it from Britain they might be more PC