Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser ban in Australia, is it law?

C

carulli

Hi, I have been trying to find info on whether the laser ban in Australia is active or if it was just a proposed law, but i couldnt find any. Can you guys help, i love my laser and i want to know if I can use it.

C

carulli

ohh yea im in NSW, but im not sure about the laws. Is there an official website that has all the laws?

Searched the website, nothing comes up on any combination of 'laser', 'pointer', or 'mW' They're not in Restricted Imports either.

Carulli --
Forget lasers there --- Get into shooting sports. Big handguns and rifles are fun too. Don't let your government ban guns and lasers both.

Mike

Can anyone tell me about the AUS law in VIC? What about owning a 400+mw laser pointer? Is it worth having one for the risk of getting caught with it? Even tho I would only be using it for astronomy purposes. This law in NSW is such a turn off, Lets just ban video games, knives, High powered flashlights, V8 cars, while were at it. These politicians are evil.

I have been wanting a optitronics high powered laser for some time, but now the risk of getting caught owning one makes me think twice. Can I still get one shipped to AUS?

Lasers over 1mW have been illegal in VIC for some time, they are already classed as prohibited weapons there.

Razako

Flashanator_500mW said:
Can anyone tell me about the AUS law in VIC? What about owning a 400+mw laser pointer? Is it worth having one for the risk of getting caught with it? Even tho I would only be using it for astronomy purposes. This law in NSW is such a turn off, Lets just ban video games, knives, High powered flashlights, V8 cars, while were at it. These politicians are evil.

I have been wanting a optitronics high powered laser for some time, but now the risk of getting caught owning one makes me think twice. Can I still get one shipped to AUS?
If you only need a laser for astronomy you would be fine with a 30-50mw DX laser. That way even if it does get caught by customs or w/e it's no big loss.

So... If the laz0rs aren't on the website, technically Customs can't take them off me and if they do I can say 'its not on your website, gtfo'

Does the 'gift' technicality work? If it is marked as a gift and is seized, can I just say it was not anticipated and avoid the fine?

luke_j

i doubt youll get finded i bought a certain prohibited item that was seized by customs all i got was
a letter and if i had a licencse/permit i could collect i didnt
and it wasnt a laser either

What would happen if I got caught with a 400mw Laser pointer in my own house? And I had no record of miss using it. Jail time? Huge Fine? There treating these lasers like guns.

Id probably ask to get it packaged in a discrete way for sending.

Well from what i had read in the Daily Telegraph laser over 1mW where in the process of being made ILLEGAL unless you had a license to use them for trade/work purposes (astronomy is all i can gather)
However whether that law has actually gone through is anyones guess b/cos i am yet to see any updates on it.

I'm also in Sydney and am refusing to import the lasers from o/seas due to the fact that the item may so easily be confiscated, well at least thats not a risk i want to take.

Things

They can't fully ban lasers, you still have DVD/blu-ray burners/player/laser printers etc. If they were gonna ban all lasers over 1mw, bye bye all those things, which i highly doubt what happen.

C

carulli

Things said:
They can't fully ban lasers, you still have DVD/blu-ray burners/player/laser printers etc. If they were gonna ban all lasers over 1mw, bye bye all those things, which i highly doubt what happen.

I think that the proposed ban is for laser POINTERS not anything that uses lasers, I hope this means that mounted and lab lasers are still ok.