Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser at 1 million FPS

Google "rapatronic camera". They have an exposure time as short as 10 billionths of a second, meaning that they could theoretically exceed 1 million fps.. but since they are/were film based you'd need a freaking LOT of film.

Unless of course you mean 1 trillion fps.. can't see the vid at work.

Last edited:
Indeed amazing. With such high FPS, apart from light travel what else is there to film??

can't wait until they shoot a piece of light between a wall of mirrors so you can see it bounce back and fourth

Google "rapatronic camera".

The rapatronic camera is just a camera. It cannot record video. "For a film-like sequence of high-speed photographs, as used in the photography of nuclear and thermonuclear tests, arrays of up to 12 cameras were deployed, with each camera carefully timed to record a different time frame."

You couldn't use this new trillion-FPS device on a thermonuclear blast though because they're all different. If you send millions of laser pulses to an object, they all act the same so you can gather different frames from different events to build up a video of the whole event.

The only question I have is how did all those pulses not eventually destroy the bottle cap? :tinfoil:

Last edited:

Blord

How much pulses can a laser actually handle ? I read millions of pulses but is this the upper limit of a diode can handle ?

DTR

How much pulses can a laser actually handle ? I read millions of pulses but is this the upper limit of a diode can handle ?

They tell you what kind of laser it is about 57 seconds into the video I posted above.

Also here is a wiki page about sapphire lasers
Ti-sapphire laser - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"These devices generate ultrashort, ultra-high-intensity pulses with a duration of 20 to 100 femtoseconds. A typical one stage amplifier can produce pulses of up to 5 millijoules in energy at a repetition frequency of 1000 hertz, while a larger, multistage facility can produce pulses up to several joules, with a repetition rate of up to 10 Hz."

The rapatronic camera is just a camera. It cannot record video. "For a film-like sequence of high-speed photographs, as used in the photography of nuclear and thermonuclear tests, arrays of up to 12 cameras were deployed, with each camera carefully timed to record a different time frame."

You're absolutely right.. that's why I said "theoretically", but I think that might also be incorrect since video is impossible on the rapatronic camera. The minimum exposure time of 10 billionths of a second would allow for well over 1 million fps, which is what I was trying to say.

Last edited:
They tell you what kind of laser it is about 57 seconds into the video I posted above.

Also here is a wiki page about sapphire lasers
Ti-sapphire laser - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"These devices generate ultrashort, ultra-high-intensity pulses with a duration of 20 to 100 femtoseconds. A typical one stage amplifier can produce pulses of up to 5 millijoules in energy at a repetition frequency of 1000 hertz, while a larger, multistage facility can produce pulses up to several joules, with a repetition rate of up to 10 Hz."

I'm actually familiar those. My school has the most powerful laser in terms of peak power and rep rate. 100TW at 10Hz was achieved using an amplified Ti-sapphire. They don't let me in the lab. :(

I do not know how the amplifier works.

I'm actually familiar those. My school has the most powerful laser in terms of peak power and rep rate. 100TW at 10Hz was achieved using an amplified Ti-sapphire. They don't let me in the lab. :(

I do not know how the amplifier works.
My university only went up to ~10TW at 1Hz. After the move to a new building the laser isn't build up yet. I was around the old setup regularly and if I had the time I could help build it up again.
They now also have a 10mJ 1KHz coherent Legend Ti:Sapphire laser, way smaller but still impressive.

Last edited:

xoul

With this technology, we can finally watch the US national debt increase a penny at a time. :wave: