Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laptop Scavenge!!!

We had a Fujitsu laptop a while back, the case for the battery broke open a few years ago. Fast Forward to last night, I found it, BONUS!!!! 9- 18650 batteries! I have tested them and they were all around 3.8v and are taking a charge nicely. I will say that they get warmer than the ultrafire I got with my laser from Lazerer.com. I have no idea what I am gonna do with them.. but I have them, and I am certainly hoping to find some use for them. The laptop battery was a 10.8v and 7800mAh so by my calculations they are approx 2600mAh. They have red shrink wrap and some numbers that do not Google to anything. Again, gotta love free batteries!!!

Laptop battery pulls are often old and less than optimum as you might expect. The color of the ring on the positive terminal is usually the indicator for capacity if they're sanyo. Is it light blue?

Nice find. I recently scavenged a couple 14500's and mini solar panels from some lawn lights, free batts are great even if they have lost a good bit of capacity.

Be wary of any #18650 cells that are too hot to hold comfortably in your hand, when charging.

That usually indicates high internal resistance, which can cause overheating.

Remember that the usual life for lithium ion cells is ~5 years from the date of manufacture.

LarryDFW

Last edited:
The beauty part is they are probably pretty much fine. Lower capacity than newer cells of course. The battery was fully charged when we took it off the old computer because the case got cracked when the unit was dropped. They were only used for about 6 months. The ring is baby blue, by the way. I'll look into the procedure linked to above in a bit. Also they do not get too hot to touch they are just warmer than the ultrafire that's all. Thanks for the advice.

Last edited: