Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laaser Suggestions - Please Help!!

JD645

Hello everyone,

I was interested in purchasing a laser for a project I was working on, and I was hoping someone could suggest a laser that meets these requirements:

-can be visible outdoors during the daytime(the surface I will be projecting it on is no more than 3.5 feet away)
-inexpensive (ideally less than $10)
-projects a horizontal line (instead of a single point)
-has an on/off button (so that the button does not need to be held down to keep the laser on)
-preferably and laser module (I don't need a full laser pointer - the smaller the better)

I would be very appreciative of a suggestion that meets all of these requirements; it would REALLY help me out.

Thanks a lot

JD645

JD645

It would probably be used on average a half an hour a day, and I was hoping that it would be able to last over 3 months before replacing batteries. But this is not a restricting factor; if the laser lasts much less than this it is not a problem. I'm not concerned with being able to see the path of the beam, I only want to be able to see the beam on the surface it is projected onto (which will be no more than 3.5 feet away from the laser module). Do you know of any diodes or modules (I'm not sure what it's called - the end of the laser pointer that generates the beam) of this strength that would be available? Also, does a laser exist that when diffused into a line, could be seen outside in daylight and NOT require eye protection goggles? Maybe a red laser?

Thank you for your input!!!

If you're going to be inside, but using daylight for lighting, you really don't even need 50mW of power, even 5mW could work.

You will need to use a lens in order to create a line, there are no diodes that specifically come that way.

Green is the best option because it is perceived much better by the eye. If you attempt the same goal with a red laser you will end up going into very unsafe territory.

As far as longevity goes, for running a laser half hour at a time, you really need a lab setup, pointers are not made for long duty cycle.

For outside use, you would need to go higher in power. Green is still the best option.

If I were you, I'd order a cheap laser pointer and one of those line lenses from o-like to experiment.

Just remember at over 5mW you do need goggles in case of a reflection.

Reactions: ped

JD645

Thank you for your suggestions! I will try to find a green laser diode of <5mW.

I'll keep you posted on my progress!