Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

kryton mod

i have a first generation kryton host i've been wanting to build with for some time. i'm a big fan of rhd's "ancient light" series and it inspired me plan a "new" diode in this "ancient" host.
i want to put a 3.8mm osram pl-450 into this host. but im not sure how.
what i've come up with so far is to drill out the head of the kryton to accept the ~12mm module i have to press the diode into. with close enough machining i'd get a snug fit. i see no good place for a set screw so the module would have to be epoxied into the head.
i don't like the idea of permanently attaching the module to the head, or drilling it for that matter.
so i ask if any y'all out there have an idea how to put this diode into my kryton?:beer:

daguin

How about a small spacer ring [ID 3.8mm x OD (to fit Kryton pocket)]. height = the depth of the Kryton pocket?

Press ring into pocket
Press diode into ring

Should be fully reversible, if desired

Peace,
dave

Last edited:
that sounds good dave. i'll have to look around the workplace monday to see if i can find something.
would you have anything in mind that could adapted to work?
edit: a tiny lock washer maybe...

...tap...tap...tap...still waiting

Last edited:

daguin

I would think you would want this machined out of aluminum or brass

You want the metal to deform slightly to ensure a good contact and good heat distribution

Peace,
dave

this may not be the best place to ask, but is there a member who would machine a ring to fit the kryton pocket and the diode for me?

Last edited:

benmwv

You may get away with drilling a hole through a dead 5.6mm diode, either a press fit or if you can't get it that exact you will probably be fine securing it in with thermal epoxy.