Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Kryton Groove lens thread problem?

Fiddy

G'day,

I have a nice Kryton Groove sitting here ready to be built.

When i start to thread in a aixiz lens into the heatsink, it gets really tight before i can get the lens to a nice focus point?

The thread looks brand new, noway it is stripped out.
kryton1.jpg

kryton4.jpg

This is how far i can thread the lens in physically.
kryton3.jpg

kryton2.jpg

Im thinking it takes a different lens other than Aixiz or something?

Never encountered this before, any help would be great!

Fiddy.

Fiddy

bought it off member: Dylan445, yeah not sure ay, might have to re-thread it.

IF you want you can send it to someone with a tap for an Aixiz lens Just in case the threads Are Slightly off. The Tap can straighten them back Up.

That is If The threads Are not too damaged.

I have a tap for an Aixiz Lens.

If you want to send the head to me to take a Look at and see if that fixes the Problem Then Just cover Shipping and i will do it for free.:)

PM if Interested.:beer:

Last edited:

Fiddy

Dylan445 said

If it's the Kryton plain one then maybe its abit harder as i remember the machining for those lens were wrong when they got them from the manufacturer and he had to rethread them himself. If you still can't get it in, try using a M9x0.5 metric Tap and rethread it to make it easier to turn the lens in.

thanks for the offer Lazeerer, but since your on the other side of the world, ill buy a tap and re-thread it myself :)

Cheers!

Oh OK. Dint pay attention to your location.:)

Here is the Tap I use and what you need:

9mm 9 x 0.5 HSS Metric Tap M9 x 0.5mm .5 Pitch | eBay

Depending On How far you will want to go down.

You will have to grind the Tip of the tap down in order to thread all the way to the Bottom.

I Bought 2.

One I left Regular and Start the Threads then the Second One you want to Grind down to finish off the thread so they Go all the way to the Bottom.

I have not yet seen a Bottom Out tap in this size so this is the only way I was told to do it.

Last edited:

Fiddy

Ahh ok i see what you've done there, make a makeshift bottoming tap and kept one as taper/intermediate tap :)

Thanks again!

Yes Exactly.:)

If you do not plain On Using G1 lenses Then Using it without Grinding it down will be Just fine.:)

Fiddy

Too easy!

Thats cause that lens has the glass mounted further away from the diode than the other lenses hey?

The G1 Lens as A Focal Length of 4mm. So it has to site Closer to the The Diode which makes your thread It in Deeper.

The Aixiz Lens IIRC has A Focal Length of ~6mm so it does not thread in so deep. So the Threads can Stop a Little Shorter.

Last edited:
I bought a groove host of dylan445 as well and had the exact problem with the lens not screwing in and can confirm that if you get the tap and hand screw it in it will work.

Bobhaha did this for me and its working great