Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Kryton EBAY BS!!!  VINDICATION!!!!

Kenom

As you all may know, Ebay over the last year has specifically started to limit laser pointer sales over 5mw as sales of high powered laser pointers are illegal.  

Now I posted a Kryton Barrel on ebay without a laser diode or battery.  Just an aluminum host. exactly like this

Ebay has now pulled my auction stating first:

You recently listed the following auction-style listing:

220357537541 - Laser barrel high power laser pointer host / kit

Unfortunately, we had to remove your listing because the following information violates our policy:

Hand held lasers with an output greater than 5mw. Hazardous or dangerous goods (such as explosives, radioactive materials, flammable gases, liquids and solids, and toxic substances) may pose a danger to health, safety, or property while being transported.

We notified members who placed bids on the item that the listing has been canceled.

The sale and transportation of hazardous materials, including explosive and radioactive materials, toxic substances, and so forth, is heavily regulated by federal and state law. For this reason, listings for these items on eBay are severely restricted. For more information on this eBay policy, please visit:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/hazardous-materials.html

Please note: violation of this or other eBay policies may result in forfeit of eBay fees on cancelled listings, limits on account privileges and account suspension.

You can review our list of prohibited and restricted items here:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/items-ov.html

Your listing(s) may be eligible for relisting through My eBay. If your listing is eligible, you will see the listing in your Unsold Items page within My eBay. Listings that are not eligible for relisting will not be visible in the Unsold Items page.

To relist your item, sign in to eBay, go to My eBay to your Unsold items, and select the item that was canceled -- it's highlighted with a yellow banner. Before relisting, please make any changes necessary to ensure that your revised listing is in compliance with the law and eBay policies. You might want to check your other listings for similar violations as well.

Thanks for your understanding.

Sincerely,

eBay Trust and Safety team

Why eBay may remove your listing:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/questions/listing-ended.html

H5171

OK, so this is not an item over 5mw so there shouldn't be an issue with hazardous.  So I emailed them back indicated as such.
Here is their response.

Dear Ken,

Thank you for writing eBay in regards to your concern.

Listing of hand held lasers with an output of more than 5MW are
generally not permitted on eBay. The only exceptions to this policy are
club/disco/"rave" type lasers, which may generally be listed, even if
their output is greater than 5MW.

To protect the safety and security of all eBay members, sellers are not
permitted to list information or equipment that encourages illegal
activity.

For more information on the eBay Encouraging Illegal Activity policy,
please go to:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/encouraging-illegal-activity.html

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to reply to this
email and let us know.

Sincerely,
name left out on purpose

eBay Customer Support

I indicated that owning an aluminum barrel is not encouraging illegal activities.  Nor is building your own laser illegal.

Just wanted to share the BS on Ebay.

So it would appear that making heatsinks or selling laser diodes, or hosts, is condoning an illegal activity.  even though nowhere on the FDA's website does it say that making lasers for your own personal use is illegal.

Ok had to update the most recent replies to my auction that was pulled.

Dear Ken,

Thank you for writing eBay in regard to your item being taken down

Ken, your item was taken down because listing of hand held lasers with
an output of more than 5MW are generally not permitted on eBay. The only
exceptions to this policy are club/disco/"rave" type lasers, which may
generally be listed, even if their output is greater than 5MW.

I hope this will help you, Ken

I understand your frustration regarding this matter and apologize for
the inconvenience it caused you.

Sincerely,

I replied again that it is NOT A LASER.

they replied with this:

Dear Ken,

Thank you for writing eBay in regard to the listing which was removed.

We appreciate your clarification. It appears the item does comply with
US policy. However, the listing was offered worldwide. You may not be
aware, however, the United Kingdom and Australia have very strict
regulations related to laser pointer devices. No part of a laser pointer
device is permitted in the UK or Australia.

Please feel free to relist the item. However, please do not offer
shipping to any area which includes the UK or Australia.

email and let us know.

Sincerely,

Re: Kryton EBAY BS!!!

they sent you a generic response. try listing it with out the "high power"... "burning laser" seems to work for me most times when i sell sleds...

I agree with them that they should not allow people to sell >5 Mega Watt lasers. ;D Its a piece of aluminum (a very good piece aluminum but still just a piece of aluminum).

--hydro15

Kenom

that was my initial defense, then they said I was condoning illegal activity. As far as I know it's not illegal to build them if you've no intention of selling them.

You can't argue with them. They will just give a firm NO! Try listing it without those keywords ;)

Hey Ken...
                they are no doubt using Key Words to find listings...
Every time I put a Laserbee I LPM up for auction... I get a >5mW listing warning... probably because I mention the phrase "1 Watt"... They haven't removed on yet though..

Maybe rewording the auction... taking out some of the flaged words and using large
red letters indicating "Laser Diodes Not Included"

It might be a little easier for their small minds to see.. :cool:

Jerry

Yeah Ken, all they can do is use key word filters to sort through the hundreds/thousands of laser related listings that pop up everyday. Their CS probably didn't even bother to take a good look at your listing, and just sent you the usual blanket email. :-/

daguin

lasersbee said:
Hey Ken...
Every time I put a Laserbee I LPM up for auction... I get a >5mW listing warning... probably because I mention the phrase "1 Watt"... They haven't removed on yet though..

Maybe rewording the auction... taking out some of the flaged words and using large

Jerry

This only has value if a sentient being actually reads the listing rather than just some automaton reacting to a filter flag.

Peace,
dave

Whoah, that is pretty harsh. It's like if you sell kitchen knives you could be encouraging gang knife fights ::)

Just next time forget any "exciting" words. As in, "burning, high power, super bright".

Kenom

See but they should be going through and checking listings. If they didn't then they would be removing tons of unrelated listings that will end up costing them tons of money. This is thier business as well as those that make money off sales on ebay. Granted they don't get a lot of money off just one listing, but it adds up if some bot randomly goes through and removes 1,000 listings.

Kenom said:
See but they should be going through and checking listings.  If they didn't then they would be removing tons of unrelated listings that will end up costing them tons of money.  This is thier business as well as those that make money off sales on ebay.  Granted they don't get a lot of money off just one listing, but it adds up if some bot randomly goes through and removes 1,000 listings.

They don't care, their corporation makes so much money at this point they could care less if they loose some business due to their filtering system. Unfortunately there isn't much you can do other than try to reword your listing

It's true-- they REALLY don't care for the fees. Those powersellers bring in A LOT of revenue... it won't matter to lose a few $$ to the small sellers... it is more worth it to maintain the rep of ebay... which is why they ban people, and remove listings... which results in fees not paid

daguin said:
[quote author=lasersbee link=1234139747/0#6 date=1234144172]Hey Ken...
Every time I put a Laserbee I LPM up for auction... I get a >5mW listing warning... probably because I mention the phrase "1 Watt"... They haven't removed one yet though..

Maybe rewording the auction... taking out some of the flagged words and using large

Jerry

This only has value if a sentient being actually reads the listing rather than just some automaton reacting to a filter flag.

Peace,
dave[/quote]

I could see that once you complained to eBay about your listing being removed... a sentient office
being could quickly scan the listing and the Big Red Message would easily and clearly standout... ::)

How do we know that some guy didn't like his listing and complained to eBay because he thought
that it was a High Powered Burning Laser... there are sh@t disturbers out there with nothing better
to do... IMHO... ;)

Jerry

Kenom

Yeah I had one of my listings removed because a direct competitor complained that I was violating terms by selling high powered lasers and his was almost the exact same thing.

Kenom said:
As you all may know, Ebay over the last year has specifically started to limit laser pointer sales over 5mw as sales of high powered laser pointers are illegal.  

Now I posted a Kryton Barrel on ebay without a laser diode or battery.  Just an aluminum host. exactly like this

Ebay has now pulled my auction stating first:

You recently listed the following auction-style listing:

220357537541 - Laser barrel high power laser pointer host / kit

Unfortunately, we had to remove your listing because the following information violates our policy:

Hand held lasers with an output greater than 5mw. Hazardous or dangerous goods (such as explosives, radioactive materials, flammable gases, liquids and solids, and toxic substances) may pose a danger to health, safety, or property while being transported.

We notified members who placed bids on the item that the listing has been canceled.

The sale and transportation of hazardous materials, including explosive and radioactive materials, toxic substances, and so forth, is heavily regulated by federal and state law. For this reason, listings for these items on eBay are severely restricted. For more information on this eBay policy, please visit:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/hazardous-materials.html

Please note: violation of this or other eBay policies may result in forfeit of eBay fees on cancelled listings, limits on account privileges and account suspension.

You can review our list of prohibited and restricted items here:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/items-ov.html

Your listing(s) may be eligible for relisting through My eBay. If your listing is eligible, you will see the listing in your Unsold Items page within My eBay. Listings that are not eligible for relisting will not be visible in the Unsold Items page.

To relist your item, sign in to eBay, go to My eBay to your Unsold items, and select the item that was canceled -- it's highlighted with a yellow banner. Before relisting, please make any changes necessary to ensure that your revised listing is in compliance with the law and eBay policies. You might want to check your other listings for similar violations as well.

Thanks for your understanding.

Sincerely,

eBay Trust and Safety team

Why eBay may remove your listing:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/questions/listing-ended.html

H5171

OK, so this is not an item over 5mw so there shouldn't be an issue with hazardous.  So I emailed them back indicated as such.
Here is their response.

Dear Ken,

Thank you for writing eBay in regards to your concern.

Listing of hand held lasers with an output of more than 5MW are
generally not permitted on eBay. The only exceptions to this policy are
club/disco/"rave" type lasers, which may generally be listed, even if
their output is greater than 5MW.

To protect the safety and security of all eBay members, sellers are not
permitted to list information or equipment that encourages illegal
activity.

For more information on the eBay Encouraging Illegal Activity policy,
please go to:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/encouraging-illegal-activity.html

email and let us know.

Sincerely,
name left out on purpose

eBay Customer Support

I indicated that owning an aluminum barrel is not encouraging illegal activities.  Nor is building your own laser illegal.

Just wanted to share the BS on Ebay.

So it would appear that making heatsinks or selling laser diodes, or hosts, is condoning an illegal activity.  even though nowhere on the FDA's website does it say that making lasers for your own personal use is illegal.
weird.......