Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

kip-kay refugee wanting to 'make it right'

Greetings LPF,

In 2007, I saw the infamous 'how to build a powerful burning laser' video that seems to be the bane of some of the LPF folks' existence. :)

None the less, a couple months ago I ordered a mini maglite, an aixiz module, and a 660nm 200mW (CW, 350mW pulsed @ <35% duty cycle; <30ns pulse width) diode.

After replacing the lower-powered diode, I proceeded to do what I now understand to be very bad in that I connected my diode's pins directly to the +/- pinholes which the LED bulb used to occupy, ignoring the third pin which I now understand to be involved in some kind of diode feedback loop when diodes are properly integrated.

Over the months, I've realized a number of things:
1) I feel fortunate in that my diode is still alive and kicking
2) I'm a retard for not having acquired safety goggles (have some on the way)
3) I would like to 'make it right' regarding my host.

Now, I'm not going to lie. My current mag lite 'rig' (lets not call it a build) includes electrical tape and a beam that points in different directions, should the host roll.

I've done some searching prior to posting this. I understand that there are a few mini mag kits out there. I also understand that they're on not exactly beginner-level hosts as most drivers will not fit nicely and the ones that seem to require a little more experience and know-how.

I'm pretty sure that I would like a new cap-switch and some sort of heat-sink that would serve to replace the flashlight reflector that was mangled when I first made this. So I definitely do not need an entire kit.

I would like to know if I might have missed in my search a not-too-difficult way to get a proper driver into the mini-mag. If not, is a resistor my best bet to have a semi respectable build?

Also do any of you fine enthusiasts offer a heat sink machined to fit the mini-mag? Again I searched but found mostly kits or offerings that involve mini mag parts that I already own.

Please bear with this n00b, trying to learn as much as possible about safety, builds, and products ranging from pointers to CO2/COIL/etc. It's fair to say I've caught the bug.

Once I have a driver or at least a resistor am I likely to see a drop in brightness?

Thanks in advance,

-vect0rx

P.S. I've read some CW vs. pulsed debates on here and I can't pretend to understand the majority of arguments but it seems that 350mW pulsed wouldn't necessarily get more out of my diode than 200mW CW?

Adding a driver will CONTROL the current going to the LD.

And Hey, Don't sweat it. Kipkay fooled me too. Luckily I ended up here!

Its good that you made here as well! Check out some of the kits made by Jayrob. He a Northern Californian such as yourself. He is the master when it comes to build kits. He has a minimag mod for just about any color! Check out his kit, and see what is included. Most of his sales threads include a short tutorial as well. That way you can see how a very typical build goes together.

http://laserpointerforums.com/f64/fs-mini-mag-kit-flexdrive-red-blu-ray-41030.html

Enjoy the forum!

Grix: Your fingers are too quick for me man! :beer:

Morgan

Phew, there are a few questions there! Good ones though, which is nice to see so, I'll try to answer some of the easier ones for you and you should be able to move on from there.

You'll probably find details about any maglite kits in the, "Buy, Sell, Trade", or, "Pro Shop", sections. Best to ask direct questions in those threads if previous posts don't answer them or ask in a polite PM if there is any advice. I would resist the resistor regulation route and look to rely on a proper driver for now. That is probably the advice most will give you here too. Plenty of machinists CAN make a heatsink but I don't know of any specific to that maglight but again, the same sections should help to narrow someone down. Off the top of my head try Flaminpyro, Jayrob and Ehgemus...

The drop in brightness question is impossible to answer as we don't know the battery charge, health of the diode, and a whole host of other variables. It may even be that there is an increase in brightness but you're just going to have to wait to find that one out I'm afraid. Kind of nice when you find out though. ;)

That probably doesn't answer half of your questions but it should get you going. More snesible questions are not a problem. If you've at least tried to find your own asnwers, (and you clearly have), then people are happy to help.

Good luck and post some pics when you get your, allowed to be called, "Build", complete!

Welcome to LPF! :wave:

M
:)

P.S. Nice KipKay Refugee title BTW! That made me chuckle.

(Meatball, Grix? I don't know why I bother! You both have quicker fingers than me! :crackup: And posted the right link too!)

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses and tips, guys. I'm in the process of finding out what kind of parts will go in. Will follow up. :beer:

Be careful what you say about KIP here-- what if he gets pi55ed- finds your phone number and calls you late at night???

His voice is so creepy!!! I would not be able to go back to sleep.

Best of luck w/ a maglite laser--They get a similar response to the one Kip gets here.

hak

Don't feel bad, you were not the first one to be taken in by his bu!!sh!t.
But on a positive note, it has brought a lot of people here to learn how to do it right.