Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

KES 400A laser

I'm Making my first Blu-ray laser and i got some KES 400A diodes cheap since i don't want a burning one yet, since this is my first build i didn't wanna fry a 60$ diode, so i got a few for 20$.

What is the max mW on these diodes and does it still drop 6 Volts across even tough its a low power diode?

daguin

Reaver789 said:
I'm Making my first Blu-ray laser and i got some KES 400A diodes cheap since i don't want a burning one yet, since this is my first build i didn't wanna fry a 60$ diode, so i got a few for 20$.
What is the max mW on these diodes and does it still drop 6 Volts across even tough its a low power diode?

The diode needs 5-6 volts. You can safely run them up to ~38mA of current.

Peace,
dave

daguin

Reaver789 said:
wow fast response, thank you Dave.

You're welcome. I used to use this diode in my lecture pointers.

Be fast with your soldering ;)

Peace,
dave

These diodes are very ESD sensitive. Make sure you're grounded whilde handling it. ;)

Xer0

a few for 20$ ??? i was watching an ebay auction until today thad had 6 for 20 :-/

you got it?

i wanted but missed it (didnt take care of the time zone) :(

Xer0 said:
a few for 20$ ??? i was watching an ebay auction until today thad had 6 for 20 :-/

you got it?

i wanted but missed it (didnt take care of the time zone)  :(

Yeah i got that one, he has more than 50 in stock, PM him and im sure he'll sell you some.

Btw, i did buy now hehehe.

daguin said:
The diode needs 5-6 volts.  You can safely run them up to ~38mA of current.

Peace,
dave

Is the red laser on that diode usable, and if so, does it still need 5-6 volts, it would be cool to have a 2 in one laser, even if the red LD doesn't have that much power.

daguin

Reaver789 said:
Is the red laser on that diode usable, and if so, does it still need 5-6 volts, it would be cool to have a 2 in one laser, even if the red LD doesn't have that much power.

Check with Rog. I've never used the red in the diode. He has.

Peace,
dave

The red is <5mw, do not fire them up at the same time as it will shorten the life of your blu-ray. Plus as they are different wavelengths you cannot focus them to the same point so when you change from one to the other you will need to adjust the lens.

Firemylaser did a tutorial on this some time ago that is worth looking at (if you can find it).

I suggest you enjoy the 20mw Blu-ray for what it is, make some eye safe pointers to sell to your friends then use the sleds to make white lasers from the proceeds of your sales :)

Regards rog8811

rog8811 said:
I suggest you enjoy the 20mw Blu-ray for what it is, make some eye safe pointers to sell to your friends then use the sleds to make white lasers from the proceeds of your sales :)

Regards rog8811

hehehe, that's just what i was thinking, this hobby is killing me tough, i spent 110$ on laser parts, i almost never spend that much on anything.

daguin

Reaver789 said:
hehehe, that's just what i was thinking, this hobby is killing me tough, i spent 110$ on laser parts, i almost never spend that much on anything.

This is sooooo relative . . . . . .

I spent more than $110 just on drivers this week alone  :eek:

You don't even WANT to know how much money went out of this house for laser stuff this week

And the week ain't over yet ;)

Peace,
dave

of course I got some really cool stuff

Xer0

rog8811 said:

Haha, i like that ^^ i should do the same, to refinance the diode deads at my early beginnings ;)