Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Just returned from Thailand (Kochang and Bangkok)

Hello, I have just returned to Seoul, S.Korea from Bangkok, Suvarnabhumi Intl. Airport on Thursday morning 4:30am.

I have had a rather interesting, revealing/ Educational trip this time. My wife an I were on a 5 ½ day journey "honeymoon" to KoChang near the Southern end of the Cambodian boarder. Kochang means Elephant Island in Thai.

The first day, it was readily apparent that the name meant Euro-walrus/Elephant Seal instead of Elephant Island. The Island was overrun with gigantic overweight ill-mannered Europeans. (no offence towards Europeans).

By ill mannered, I mean quite simply that the majority of tourists would treat the local Thais as second class citizens and would refuse to show respect by not Wai-ing (Wai is the act of placing ones hands together and bowing) and rudely ordering restaurant staff or resort staff around like personal servants. It was a pretty shocking and disheartening to see. Many of the resort workers are living far below the poverty line and usually live far away from the resort area in some of the most disgusting conditions in rat, Dengue fever, Cholorea, TB, Japanese Encephalitis, Amoeba infested slums. The act of developing resorts in the area drives the land cost into the stratosphere and displaces the local population. For every development of a resort it adds more financial burden for local /average Thai. Most areas that locals (resort workers) live in lack power, running water and sewer systems. Many families have had to split so that mom or dad can go earn a living at the resorts as most Thais can't afford to live near their work. (remember this fact when going to stay in the big resort areas like Pattaya, Krabi, Phuket, Koh Samui...etc)

Despite my description of the situation above I did actually enjoy my time and
we saw lots of interesting sites. Yes, we also interacted a lot with local/ rural Thais, whom many were warm and friendly and incredibly helpful.
Both my wife and I can speak a little Thai and are learning it as much as we can. I have a sister-in-law from rural Prutchewap-Kirikan province so being able to speak/read Thai is a priority for both of us.

Second - Fourth days on Kochang were spent exploring the tropical Rainforest
on the island and doing a night tour by boat to watch fireflies.

Our trip on Sunday last week took a dramatic turn when I woke up at 2am feeling delirious, with sharp pains on my sides. I promptly started vomiting violently from 2-9am. Nearly 7 hours straight. I was not aware of it at the time, but I was also having the worst fever I can remember. ~40-41c to be precise.
I was rushed to Bangkok Hospital Emergency on Kochang and was promptly diagnosed with having a highly aggressive strain of Amoebic Dysentery. My liver and kidneys were being attacked and I was in the mid stages of full-blown sepsis. (blood poisoning) I was lucky that the Anti-biotics that were given to me cleared about 90% of the Dysentery within ~8-10hrs. Hence I got a new respect for tropical illnesses. :wave:
While at the hospital I watched a European Girl writhe in Agony with full blown Tentus infection, and a little rural Thai Girl experiencing Dengue Fever. Her mom works at one of the local resorts and was internally haemorrhaging in front of us.
Very sad to watch. I hope she survived. :cryyy:

My brush with death according to the doctor could have been caused by an infected ice cube, tainted water or an infection through our resorts swimming pool.
(You don't actually have to drink contaminated water to contract this illness.) I am really thinking it was the swimming pool as it wasn't chlorinated very well.
My wife and I shared the same food and she never came down with anything. I swam in our resorts pool a lot more than she did.

The next day we were on our way to Bangkok....
Story continues....

Attachments

• P1050135.jpg
    P1050135.jpg
    536.8 KB · Views: 173
  • P1050151.jpg
    P1050151.jpg
    530.9 KB · Views: 167
  • DSC00100.jpg
    DSC00100.jpg
    571.8 KB · Views: 154
  • P1050201.jpg
    P1050201.jpg
    421.7 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:

Wow, what an adventure! Hope you are all well as well the girls.

I too fell sick after a trip to Southeast Asia and can definitely relate to your pain.

Welcome back! :wave:

Wow, what an adventure! Hope you are all well as well the girls.

I too fell sick after a trip to Southeast Asia and can definitely relate to your pain.

Welcome back! :wave:

Thanks...
btw, if I may ask, what did you contract when travelling?
:thinking:

I am still on the mend. I am starting to eat more normally again, but I have problems digesting still. I can say that I have lost considerable weight.
Hopefully there is no irreparable damage to my liver or kidneys.

I traveled there when I was a sixth grader, pretty young.

At the very last day, I could feel that I was pretty sick, and threw up on the airplane. Those vomit bags were very handy!

Hope there is no permanent damage to your organs...

Actually, I was going to do an update as to what is occurring in Bangkok.
While in Bangkok last week, the protests were very peaceful. We met many demonstrators on the BTN (train system). I'd say the average age of these protesters would be around early to mid 20's /University age. The crowds around the central Police station were more like a carnival atmosphere. However, on Friday this situation quickly turned violent when the Government sent pro-Government protesters to confront the anti-govt protesters.
This has sparked widespread violence.
This situation was further inflamed on Saturday by a gunman walking into a Ramkamhaeng University in Central Bangkok and opening fire on students there.

If you are thinking about going to Thailand right now, DO NOT GO. There is a serious potential for things to head south in the next few days. As of yesterday evening there has been a 2 day ultimatum given to Yin-Luk Shinawatra to step down. If she refuses, I can only imagine what chaos will follow...

update: Bangkok is now offically under emergency curfew. No one is allowed outside after 10pm.
Hotels are also advising people to stay inside now.
I wish the Thai people the best.

Last edited:
Wow, glad you had a fun vacation although being sick does ruin it.

Amazing pictures by the way :) +Rep to you good sir!

Last year I backpack around Thailand for six weeks staying in hostels. My prized possession was a ceramic water filter attached to a pump. In Kochang I didn't git sick but had a good bout with a cobra while on a dirt bike...
My favorite place was a small town in the east called Nakhon Phanom. I like avoiding the tourist locations but Bangkok was awesome. I did see a few "1000 mw" lasers but I didn't waste my time.
Glad you ended up ok!

Last edited:
Wow, glad you had a fun vacation although being sick does ruin it.

Amazing pictures by the way :) +Rep to you good sir!

I am going to post a few more pics from the trip.

These are of Kochang.

--> When in rural areas, it's best to get your fruit from the local vendors.
The vendor down the street from our resort was very very good. Her and her husband had a wide variety of fruit available including Guava (Farang) just like the same word used for Caucasian foreigner. I happen to love Guava, so we got some every morning along with mangoes. Breakfast!!

--> You do need to be careful and make sure sanitation practices are done properly. Prices are in pictures are in Bhat. 90Bhat/Kg for Mangoes.

$1USD = 32.073 Bhat.

Anyways...

The outdoor restaurant picture was taken at the white-sands beach resort area on Kochang. This is definitely a highlight of the island.
Nighttime dining with a live fire-show. :beer: Amazing food !
All local businesses with street art entertainment. I had no idea steel wool could turn someone into a human pinwheel like this. :drool:
The picture below was a 5sec exposure with a DMC-LX3 Lumix on Manual mode. It was shot in RAW.

Attachments

• P1050101.jpg
    P1050101.jpg
    712.5 KB · Views: 145
  • P1050218.jpg
    P1050218.jpg
    564.2 KB · Views: 148
  • DSC00098.jpg
    DSC00098.jpg
    524.5 KB · Views: 121
  • P1050315.jpg
    P1050315.jpg
    459 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
Last year I backpack around Thailand for six weeks staying in hostels. My prized possession was a ceramic water filter attached to a pump. In Kochang I didn't git sick but had a good bout with a cobra while on a dirt bike...
My favorite place was a small town in the west called Nakhon Phanom. I like avoiding the tourist locations but Bangkok was awesome. I did see a few "1000 mw" lasers but I didn't waste my time.
Glad you ended up ok!

Yes, I saw lots of lasers too. The vendors were all asking far too much. Even bartering, it wasn't worth the time.

In Bangkok I spent a lot of time in NBK. They have a VAST supply of electronics there but it would almost be worth buying one just to see how close to spect they are.
Great pictures too you posted.

In Bangkok I spent a lot of time in NBK. They have a VAST supply of electronics there but it would almost be worth buying one just to see how close to spect they are.
Great pictures too you posted.

Checked out MBK. Lots of out of spec laser crap there. Prices were also excessive.

Cheap screen print T shirts and iPhone cases tho! My favorite location in Bangkok was the forensics museum and what made it really interesting was that it IN the hospital. They had crazy stuff in there but no photos were allowed. MBK-you'll have to excuse me as it's been a year since I was there.

Those protests surprise me, the people seem to be pretty calm but I know they are protesting against the PM. I remember the youth in street gangs with motorbikes shutting down the streets after midnight to race.

Cheap screen print T shirts and iPhone cases tho! My favorite location in Bangkok was the forensics museum and what made it really interesting was that it IN the hospital. They had crazy stuff in there but no photos were allowed. MBK-you'll have to excuse me as it's been a year since I was there.

Those protests surprise me, the people seem to be pretty calm but I know they are protesting against the PM. I remember the youth in street gangs with motorbikes shutting down the streets after midnight to race.

Well, these protests are a sign the country is de-stabilizing. The cost of living is going up all across the country and the wages and working conditions are getting worse. The Government hasn't done anything to get rid of rampid corruption and in many cases blocks progressive measures to root out the major issues.
The Government has also hired criminals to crush this protest. Sad state of affairs.
There have been reports of protesters now armed with military rifles and grenades.
Also all Thai TV stations are now on a full lock down and have been blacked out.
Signs this conflict is spiralling out of control.

Last edited:
Hope you feel better. Tks for sharing! Thailand is as bad as Mexico with its corruption, and poverty but its deep entrenchment in vice (drugs, wildlife trade, prostitution, arms smuggling, assassins, etc) makes it even more sinister. :eek:

Well, these protests are a sign the country is de-stabilizing. The cost of living is going up all across the country and the wages and working conditions are getting worse. The Government hasn't done anything to get rid of rampid corruption and in many cases blocks progressive measures to root out the major issues.
The Government has also hired criminals to crush this protest. Sad state of affairs.
There have been reports of protesters now armed with military rifles and grenades
Also all Thai TV stations are now on a full lock down and have been blacked out.
Signs this conflict is spiralling out of control.

Well I hope they can get this resolved soon, I read that schools were shut down because of security concerns and UN buildings also. I'm not sure if armed protesters is a good idea- Could cause the military to fire live rounds instead of rubber bullets and water cannons. Either way I hope this is resolved soon.

It's seems there is noticeable class gaps with not much in the middle and that is unfortunate also.

Well I hope they can get this resolved soon, I read that schools were shut down because of security concerns and UN buildings also. I'm not sure if armed protesters is a good idea- Could cause the military to fire live rounds instead of rubber bullets and water cannons. Either way I hope this is resolved soon.

It's seems there is noticeable class gaps with not much in the middle and that is unfortunate also.

Seems like this situation is on pause for the King's Birthday or has been negotiated a truce...
We'll see how long this lasts. Good that normalcy has prevailed at least temporarily.

Sometimes ( excuse me, often) Thailand defies any kind of sane logic.

In the mean time I thought I'd share some samples of Thai advertising on TV.

Thailand has some the most random adverts I've ever seen in Asia. Japan can be also "odd" as well but they are usually a mature tasteful and artistic kind of "odd". Thai commercials are random and kid-like aimed at a very uneducated audience. Very peasant-like humor with historical/religious references throw in.
Makes for some hilarious viewing.

I know that by throwing odd around subjectively here, and that I am judging the shows with my own biases and ego.

Enjoy the samples.
(A little warning, some conservative members here may find these particularly shocking in their content. However, none of these adverts are at all fake.)

:angel: