Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Just ordered Survival Laser S4X, what now?

Hi, so after looking around for a while, I decided that I wanted to build a new laser using the SL-S4X host. I found out that survival lasers was doing a black friday sale and decided to purchase a host, some new safety glasses :), some 18650s with a charger (ultrafires, hopefully they are decent quality), and some misc stuff for building the laser. I plan on purchasing both a g-2 lens and a three element glass lens for my laser. All I need to do now is decide wether I want to put an NUBM44 diode with a 4.5A SXD or an NDG7475 diode with a 2.4A SXD. I have to wait until my next paycheck to get the diode and driver so I have a little while to decide which color to go with. Any opinions or recommendations?

http://imgur.com/a/VbxMG

Last edited:

I would go with the green laser, NDG7475, you won't have enough battery to power the NUBM44, also make sure your safety glasses will attenuate 520nm light.

If I remember correctly that host only holds a single 18650 or 2 18350's so again I would go with the 520nm diode, you will really love how bright it is, much brighter than the blue. Also the NUBM44 spreads out pretty fast and makes more of a line than a spot.

Remember to be carful and protect your eyes, and never point a laser at anyone or any vehicle, and if you decide to point out stars be certain that no airplanes are anywhere in the sky, that laser is very bright and it's a serious felony with jail time for pointing a laser at an airplane, so don't take any chances, it's a big deal and they are watching and wanting to make examples of people, plus you would hate to cause an accident, in the air or in traffic.

p.s. Ultrafire batteries are not very good, you would be much happier with the following: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-x-GENUINE...653764?hash=item2104df2584:g:bowAAOSw9r1V-GwM

Last edited:
I would go with the green laser, NDG7475, you won't have enough battery to power the NUBM44, also make sure your safety glasses will attenuate 520nm light.

If I remember correctly that host only holds a single 18650 or 2 18350's so again I would go with the 520nm diode, you will really love how bright it is, much brighter than the blue. Also the NUBM44 spreads out pretty fast and makes more of a line than a spot.

Remember to be carful and protect your eyes, and never point a laser at anyone or any vehicle, and if you decide to point out stars be certain that no airplanes are anywhere in the sky, that laser is very bright and it's a serious felony with jail time for pointing a laser at an airplane, so don't take any chances, it's a big deal and they are watching and wanting to make examples of people, plus you would hate to cause an accident, in the air or in traffic.

p.s. Ultrafire batteries are not very good, you would be much happier with the following: 2 x Genuine LG HG2 INR18650HG2 3000mAh 30A INR High Drain Battery | eBay

Actually, the s4x holds 2 18650s, and even with two 18350s or 16340s it would still power it, just run out of battery life much faster. The host will work well for a nubm44 or an ndg7475, I am trying to decide wether I want to use it with a nubm44 and use a smaller host for an ndg7475 in a month or two, or see if I like the s4x with an ndg7475 and then buy another one for the nubm44 at a later time.

One of the reasons I am hesitant to do the nubm44 is the divergence / beam shape.

And yes I have owned multiple lasers and adhere to all safety guidelines and laws :)

Last edited:
Actually, the s4x holds 2 18650s, and even with two 18350s or 16340s it would still power it, just run out of battery life much faster. The host will work well for a nubm44 or an ndg7475, I am trying to decide wether I want to use it with a nubm44 and use a smaller host for an ndg7475 in a month or two, or see if I like the s4x with an ndg7475 and then buy another one for the nubm44 at a later time.

One of the reasons I am hesitant to do the nubm44 is the divergence / beam shape.

And yes I have owned multiple lasers and adhere to all safety guidelines and laws :)

No offence intended, I always preach safety to newer members because if it saves one person from a lifelong disability or legal trouble then it is worth saying it, even if it seems excessive or preachy, it's not intended to be offensive.

The NUBM44 is about 3 times as divergent as the NDB7875, the NDG7475 is very close in divergence to the NDB7875.

Here are some results from a test I did at 14 feet.

Here is the 7875 vs the 44 again at 14 feet, the NUBM44 is a powerhouse but it makes considerable waste heat and it needs INR or IMR batteries otherwise voltage will sag rapidly. You can ask almost anyone here and they will tell you that ultrafires are not up to the task of powering the NUBM44, not unless you series parallel about a dozen of them lol.

Last edited:
No offence intended, I always preach safety to newer members because if it saves one person from a lifelong disability or legal trouble then it is worth saying it, even if it seems excessive or preachy, it's not intended to be offensive.

The NUBM44 is about 3 times as divergent as the NDB7875, the NDG7475 is very close in divergence to the NDB7875.

Here are some results from a test I did at 14 feet.

Here is the 7875 vs the 44 again at 14 feet, the NUBM44 is a powerhouse but it makes considerable waste heat and it needs INR or IMR batteries otherwise voltage will sag rapidly. You can ask almost anyone here and they will tell you that ultrafires are not up to the task of powering the NUBM44, not unless you series parallel about a dozen of them lol.

No offense taken :D, thanks for the videos, I am definitely leaning towards the ndg7475 even though it costs a bit more, and I figured I may as well get some 18650s with the order from survival lasers because of the doscount, but I can always snag a pair of the nicer ones if necessary.

Do you know where you are going to buy your diode and driver?

There is also the NUGM01T available.

This is DTR's store, you probably already plan to buy here anyway but just in case here's the link.
https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/home

But if you have found a fantastic bargain somewhere, don't hesitate to share.

Last edited:
And yeah I looked into the NUGM01T vs the NDG7475, from what I read, they are fairly similar in power but the NUGM01T is significantly less expensive. I wasnt completely sure if it would be a good idea because it may be lower cost because of lower quality or divergence or something like that. I just wasnt able to find any comparisons of the divergence, if the NUGM01T has identical or better divergence and quality then I will buy one of those in a heartbeat but I just dont have all the info right now.

Edit: I looked through DTR's page on the NUGM01T diode and found that they have almost identical beam profiles and divergence, does anybody know of any reason I wouldn't want to buy one over the NDG7475? (lower quality for example)

Last edited:
well if you get the NUGM01T you would probably remove the lens to get it into a module.. It would then be an open can diode so it could potentially get debris on the emitter.
That was my thinking though.. anyone else?

If the extra 45 dollars isn't a big deal I would get the 7475, it's divergence may be a tiny bit better or the same and it is a little bit more efficient, it has 1 additional bond wire and can be pushed a little bit harder.

The can/window has pro's and con's either one should be kept debris free.

Here is a revised chart by tatermay, he had both diodes in hand, divergence is said to be the same.

NUGM01T%20Graph-1_zpswpmg3npq.jpg

I don't have either one as yet, but I like the value of the NDG700 and as this is a higher priced look good laser and not an inexpensive burner to work hard and hammer on, the visible difference between 1w and 1.4 I don't expect to be that drastic.

Any of the 3 520's should look great.

p.s. the AR coating on the 3 element made for the 520nm I believe is different than the regular 3 element for blue diodes, I have both lenses and the coating looks different, so if you want spares, buy spares coated for 520nm. DTR has then in his lens lineup, same price.

Last edited:
well if you get the NUGM01T you would probably remove the lens to get it into a module.. It would then be an open can diode so it could potentially get debris on the emitter.
That was my thinking though.. anyone else?

Yeah, if I was to buy it from DTR thrn I would just buy it mounted in the module so that I could minimize the amount of time it was exposed to dust and things, does anybody know of any other problems with the diode?

Hi,
In a short word i vote for the NDG7475 Big Green, Insanely bright and has better divergence . My 7475 =1500+ mW's and my NDG700=1100+mW's both are awesome diodes. Good luck choosing it's tough..

rich:)

DTR gives a good appraisal and when he recommends a max current then you should not go past it, unless you are willing to risk it.

I agree, I would go either NDG7475 or 700. But they all will look fantastic.

Didn't you have all 3 in a pic a few days ago?

Last edited:
Well I have made up my mind, Im going to go with the ndg7475 and then I will wait one more paycheck and build another with the nubm44 :) I realized I will be working during the holidays quite a bit and will be receiving a nice bonus so why limit myself to just one laser hahaha. Ill see how I like the s4x host, if it works well then Ill use it for the nubm44 as well.

Pman

I have never understood why a decent seller would offer "fire" batteries. I don't get how you can sell them in good conscience. Why is it so hard to offer decent cells? You can buy OEM all over the place now at great prices.
I'm not trying to be a jerk about it but if someone can't afford at least a mediocre safer cell than those fires then maybe they dont know enough to be messing with a laser.
Don't run fire cells in parallel or series at the minimum as they can have different capacity cells inside them.

Last edited:
I suppose it's all about profit and what some people don't know.

He can buy 100 "fire" cells in bulk for a dollar each and resell them for 7 dollars each, a 700% markup.

Some people don't know you can buy LG INR 18650 cells 20amps at 3000Mah 2 for 12 bucks delivered.