Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Just ordered first laser

ads813

an Aries 20

anyone have one? im still waiting for it to come. and i want to know what i should expect it to be like :)

Well enjoy that ~30 mW output power! Although, it seems to me you could have saved about $120 and gotten a Galileo then turned up the pot and had the same output and none of the delay switch, key, ind. light etc. which some think is an unnecessary hassle. By the way, they are having a Boxing Day special, and the prices are 25% off. So now, for about $60 you can have the Galileo! So make that a $140 savings! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

ads813

true...im new to lasers though, im not sure if i will start modding lasers right away

pot modding is risky business... u r basically making the diode run at a higher current than its meant to do, it really decreases its lifespan. if you want more power, u have to buy a diode that is meant for that power.

ads813

thanks

So should I expect any burning power out of this thing?

I ordered the laser to blind the squirrels off of my bird feeder and to be able to turn off street lights ;) but should I expect any burning power from the Aries 20?

PROB. not, but ive never had any experience with the nexus, so i can't say for sure. dx 20's i know for sure can do a little burning, but that's probably because they have no ir filters.

lasercricker says: "pot modding is risky business" but I ask Where's you spirit of adventure? Anyway, when I first started pot mod attempts, I thought if I turned it up much more than 15 or 20 mW it would burn out, then I had so many successes that it seemed to matter little how much I turned most of 'em up, and I also found out that most of the IR diodes that pump these greenies are ~500 to 700mW so if the efficiency is 15 -20%, and the unit is not run longer than 1 - 2 min. (so over heating is not happening), these should easily go 50 mW and 90 is not imposable for some. ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sam7

ads813 said:
thanks

So should I expect any burning power out of this thing?

I ordered the laser to blind the squirrels off of my bird feeder and to be able to turn off street lights ;) but should I expect any burning power from the Aries 20?

can i try out my x125 on you? see how you like it. see if it will keep you away.
blinding animals is fucked up. how old are you?

Ive always wondered what squirel tastes like (ends random comment)

What you do tho is set up some mesh wire around the bird feeder, on the sides where the birds wont touch it then put some high voltage low amps on there, just enough to give a shock. It wont harm them but squirles are smart and they will realize that every time they try they will get a pretty painful shock so eventualy they wont go to that anymore and look elsewhere for food.

...lazer... ;D ;D ;D

ads813

the birdfeeder is suspended from a chain hanging from a tree and the squirrels jump to it! laser works for me ;D

Switch

scopeguy20 said:
lasercricker says: "pot modding is risky business"  but I ask Where's you spirit of adventure?  Anyway, when I first started pot mod attempts, I thought if I turned it up much more than 15 or 20 mW it would burn out, then I had so many successes that it seemed to matter little how much I turned most of 'em up, and I also found out that most of the IR diodes that pump these greenies are ~500 to 700mW so if the efficiency is 15 -20%, and the unit is not run longer than 1 - 2 min. (so over heating is not happening), these should easily go 50 mW and 90 is not imposable for some.   ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Efficiency is to 15-20% on the 5mW pointers.Often a 35mW will have the same pump diode as a 100mW just crapier crystals.Judging by the power of the pump diode isn't all that exact.

I don't know what to say about your squirrel buisness, I don't think that a handheld laser is the best way to keep them off your bird feeder.Sure as hell works fine for scaring crows off buildings from far far away :D