Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Just for fun pile of M-140's

RedCowboy

Sheltering in place and being somewhat bored I bought a used projector for cheap with 2300 hours and harvested 24 x M-140 diodes that work very well, I am driving 4 laser diodes in series @ 1.6a using a LM336 as a current regulator using 0.8 ohms across the adj. and output pins and 8 x 18650 in series,.....my expideted mounts are angle brackets giving me X and Y adjustment so I can converge the beams where ever I want to.........thinking about what else I can do with all of these diodes.......maybe knife edge a bunch ? Anyway just goofing around and thought I would post a couple of pics.

SANY4702.JPG
SANY4717.JPG
SANY4710.JPGSANY4712.JPGSANY4716.JPG

RedCowboy

Thanks, Yes I just love the look of multiple beams converging at infinity or any given point in the night air, I'm going to have to make some much bigger arrays and some fixed alignment infinity convergence handhelds maybe 7 beams using the Sharp 488 and Osram 520 when they get cheap enough.

SANY4720.JPG
SANY4721.JPG

Lifetime17

LPF Site Supporter
Hi Red,
Nice job with the build oh and thats a nice load stabilizer you have in the pic, they are great for pickem up trucks I use them .
tractor trailer drivers leave them and I cut the tube to fit my bed.
Anyway awesome thread thanks for sharing. Good job done...
Rich:)

tedcs

Sheltering in place and being somewhat bored I bought a used projector for cheap with 2300 hours and harvested 24 x M-140 diodes that work very well, I am driving 4 laser diodes in series @ 1.6a using a LM336 as a current regulator using 0.8 ohms across the adj. and output pins and 8 x 18650 in series,.....my expideted mounts are angle brackets giving me X and Y adjustment so I can converge the beams where ever I want to.........thinking about what else I can do with all of these diodes.......maybe knife edge a bunch ? Anyway just goofing around and thought I would post a couple of pics.
Screen Shot 2020-05-17 at 12.14.55 AM.png
Very cool, oh the possibilities...
They could all be put unto a 4x6 array, and then pretend that they are a big NUBM34! 😁

RedCowboy

How about a big circle of beams all aimed into a deformable parabolic mirror or a graduated parabolic mirror that slides to zoom.

tedcs

How about a big circle of beams all aimed into a deformable parabolic mirror or a graduated parabolic mirror that slides to zoom.
A mimetic polyalloy would help.
Else, a rotating bowl containing a ~room temperature liquid alloy, GalinStan, or something; mercury being politically incorrect.