Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

just finished making it all but....

its not burning...

specs:
10 microfarad 16v capacitor
1N4001 rectifier diode
10ohm resistor
100ohm multiturn pot
LM317 regulator
9v battery (its fresh)
650nm 5mw laser module 8X13mm from aixiz

i built the driver is said specification from Laser driver - It can be done

there is light. i can focus it. even though its focus its not burning....help?

LaZeRz

You used a 5mW module... You need atleast 50mW's to burn but even then its not fast at all.

As LaZeRz said....
Welcome to LPF! There are a lot of great reads here....enjoy!

Your on the right track for sure, making your own driver and build is great!
He is correct though that you need to get yourself a better diode. Look into the LPC-815 in the search area. These diodes usually run about $8-14 and happily power at 250mW, a nice little burner red that your looking for.
Good luck and have fun!

ok i got a 300 mw red laser diode and hooked it up. its does burn BUT about 5 secs after applying power, the beam gets dim like its not getting enough power??? and the battery get hot. im confuzzled.

9v batteries aren't very good for lasers unfortunately. You're going to need something with a little more oomph.

12v right? i did use a 12v thing is its bright as hell even burns a littlefor a few seconds...then its fades in strength and brightness

12v right? i did use a 12v thing is its bright as hell even burns a littlefor a few seconds...then its fades in strength and brightness

there was suppose to be a comma after 12v sorry let me restate. i did use a 12v, thing is its bright as hell, even burns a little for a few seconds...then its fades in strength and brightness.

ok so ive been reading and hopefully i understand by stating that i need a battery that can put out the mAh right? im using the a23 battery because it can fit into the zippo container im housing the laser and components in. is there a battery u guys might know of or could suggest that will be able to put out what i need and fit in to the casing?

Last edited:

Fiddy

ok i got a 300 mw red laser diode and hooked it up. its does burn BUT about 5 secs after applying power, the beam gets dim like its not getting enough power??? and the battery get hot. im confuzzled.

ok.

the heating part is your batteries Internal resistance dissipating power from the battery.
(Power = Isquared x R)

The dimming part is the supply voltage dropping because of your internal resistance.
(Vdrop = Internal Resistance x I)

So the more current you pull from the battery, more power will be dissipated by the Internal Resistance heating the battery and because the internal resistance is a series load, the supply voltage is drops dimming the laser.

I would recommend getting a bigger battery or multiples in parallel!

Last edited:

mpwn

u said u got a 300mw diode, did u get a heatsink for that?

yes and no. i custom built the heatsink around the module to fit in the part that surrounds the wick on a zippo lighter. ive also have the lm317 screwed into the removable housing to act as a heatsink. so far the only heat that cant be managed was the battery. looks like i might have to scrap my idea of fitting the whole thing in a zippo lighter since i need a bigger battery/more batteries in parallel

Last edited:
ive also have the lm317 screwed into the removable housing to act as a heatsink.

Careful - the tab is electrically the same as the output pin. That means the housing will need to be isolated from all other parts of the circuit.