Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Just a reminder...

Hiemal

To be sure to have proper account security and unique passwords on all of your accounts.

Today I had my paypal account hacked by someone in china, who sent some spoof email address approximately $160 in british pounds. Three separate transactions.

I'm just glad I caught it before he could have stolen more. Paypal limited my account after noticing the bizarre transactions, and probably prevented more money from being taken from me. I've already done the necessary steps (disputed the transactions, to hopefully get my money back), changed my password (on multiple sites), added two step authorization (so that I have to have my phone to use my paypal account) and updated my security questions.

Hope I can get my money back... $160 is a rather substantial sum of money to me right now and to have that be lost to some ... (insert colorful word here) in china...

Well. You get the idea.

Stay safe and secure guys.

ped

Always good advice.

I have s step verification on ANY site that lets me, yes its a pain in the ass logging in on a new device, but that's a small price to pay considering the alternative.

Hope you get it sorted.

Its Weird that someone from china could access your account from another country?
I remember working 50Km offshore from Here In N.Z on an FPSO, the Ship had Satellite internet which ISP traced back to Australia, anyway..
I Was trying to pay "jayrob" for some goods Via Paypal over and over again trying different methods, In the end I Phoned my Partner and she used my account from on Land (NZ) and the transaction went through No Problems,

Well I hope you get your money back!
Was your Password an easy one that a Dictionary attack could hammer easy or something?

Jstr

That's terrible. I hope you get it all sorted out and get your money back. I'm surprised PayPal would let that through. I feel like this type of thing is becoming more prevalent, which is unfortunate. Sorry to hear that, good luck.

APEX1

what's step verification?? I would like to take better security measurers because of how much money I spend with paypal? I get notifications when my paypal is used to make a purchases but other than that????
EDIT: never mind, I figured it out! sorry to hear about that though.

Last edited:

ped

Sorry just seen the typo in my post, i meant "2 step verification" .

For those that don't know, when you first log in on a new device, it sends a text to you're phone with a code, obviously a hacker won't have you're phone, so they still can't log in.

APEX1

I figured that's what it was lol I also have a pin that has to be entered for my account along the the account password.

jsjs
hhs.png

c0ldshadow

LPF Founder / Admin
Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
coldtest is me testing a rule to block all PNG spam, please ignore coldtest