Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Just a few questions about a laser I might buy.

Ok well recently I've been getting kind of bored of my 5mw laser from amazon plus this is my 3rd that i've gone through because all the others broke in some way. So i'd thought about moving up and spending a little more than 10$ on a laser. I've been looking at a 50mw from O-Like as seen here.

New cute pocket Green laser 50mW /adjustable [OLCGL50] - $34.99 : Welcome to O-Like.com, Your source for laser products

The price isn't bad I think (or is it?) there is one promising review on it, but im not sure if its a company review.

There is a small worry in my head about a IR leak that i've been reading here on numerous posts. If so where can I purchase a IR filter? I'd like to be able to see for the rest of my life and taking absolutley no chances with my eyesight. I had the 3 green amazon lasers for a little over a year so I do have some expierience with lasers.

anselm

Hello and welcome to the forum!:wave:

I don't know about that laser in particular, but generally O-like will not let you down...
Decent lasers for very reasonable prices, or so I read.

If you are worried about IR you might try to ask Suzie, the spokesperson for O-like,
to see if she can have a IR filter installed for you.
But if I were you, I wouldn't worry to much about IR.
By the the time the IR hurt your eyes, they would have been aleady fried by the GREEN light.;)
Just use common sense when using the laser, if you plan on using that laser alot inside the house,
or for burning stuff (pointless at 50mW, IMHO), then you might want to consider buying protective goggles.

Last edited:
I have used common sense. All the "burning" i'll be doing is just showing the baloon pop and match light thing to show off to friends and thats about it. Trust me i use plenty of common sense with it, one reflection off a window into my eye while shining it outside was enough for me. :whistle:

Well I asked and said for one the was no space for the filter and no need for it on a 50mw so yeahhh..

"There is no space to install IR filter , actaully there is no need to install IR filter on 50mW green laser"

An IR filter isn't a bad idea, but for 50mW really not that much of an issue. The IR is typically not focused so it even in a reflection should not do too much damage.

As anselm points out the green will damage your eyes a lot faster.

Now with regards to burning, don't expect this laser to do anything. Maybe with a magnifying glass you can get a match to light or a balloon to pop, but by itself though... very unlikely.

If you are going to attempt to burn things, please invest in goggles. A reflection from a dot on say a match head, even from a 50mW will not do your eyes any good, and should feel rather uncomfortable to look at.

If you do decide to order an IR filter, this is a good source, and you can also order goggles from them... Radiant Electronics - Home

PM Spyrorocks or MarioMaster (the guys who run it) they may give you a discount.

Sorry i've been helping my dad move into his new house and yesterday kicked my ass and was feeling a little off. :oops: That was kinda embarassing lmao...