Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Jetlasers PL-e PRO 800mw@532nm "Boomstick" Review

Nexgen

Good evening, guys :beer:

In this review I’m going to express my emotions and experience with my new Jetlasers PL-e PRO 532nm@800mw, prepare for lots of green :wave:

I know that this was though decision to choose that laser, because i do not own a LPM to see exact power. I needed a company I can trust to. After my unsuccess with DL, i decided to give JL a try. I wanted spectacular host with decent power. I got a stable DPSS unit! Definite success! Let's get into review :yh:

Shipping and order:

The shipping and handling were smooth and fast. I placed an order on 10 December and received unit on 21 December. Shipping method FedEx.

After paying all taxes, ~200$ whole amount of cash was huge. 637$ +200$ tax.

While laser was on its way, we talked with Gray about all concerns (very good customer care).

Delivery & First impressions:

The laser came in well-packed box with 4 - layer bubble wrap.

S0Jkaf.jpg

A solid box:

QLmhac.jpg

Contents of the box:

GlTx4M.jpg

oOLVS5.jpg

They also included me one universal 26650 charger.

Laser in a box:

fm3qyo.jpg

I was amazed how big this laser is. Definitely not a pocket sized laser.

Comparison with CNI-PGL-III-M & pen

qVInDQ.jpg

Specs & More:

Best mode is between 20-25 °C I got TEM10, a circle and dot inside. On cold starts (~15 °C) there's round TEM00 dot.

Modes:

pohbxhsgj

Ri7fr9.jpg

At temperatures over 40°C mode is messing in TEM02-03, however power is still decent.

Not a big issue.

Current draw:
Tail: 3,2A
LED: 7mA

Host:

hY4CFu.jpg

Host of this laser is best in my opinion, I’ll give it 10/10.
No scratches, everything is smooth, focusing feature offers precise focusing.

9N0psX.jpg

Pros:
1. High quality machined host.
2. AR coated glass for 532nm, easy-cleanable if window gets dirty.
3. Momentary switch.
4. CW switch
5. Overall it’s cool looking.

Cons:
1. Not water resistant, has hole in host and driver is exposed to moisture/rain.
2. Momentary switch can be unintentionally pushed.
3. Mostly not TEM00 mode.
4. Can't fit my pocket.

Beamshots:

:drool:

Daylit room:

7yh4Ik.jpg

Front view:

MHSKvd.jpg

Mid day shoot: :D

v34diw.jpg

Divergence:

I'm simply amazed. The beam diameter at 10m (~32ft) is only 1cm wide!!! :na:

zmZFt9.jpg

Comparison:

ieJk7c.jpg

More outdoor beamshots coming this evening!

Conclusion:

It's best 532nm for that price IMO. Will recommend Jetlasers, for their high quality builds and modules, customer service they offer are outstanding. Pleasure to do business with. THIS IS MY BOOMSTICK! :eg: :gun:
Have a great christmas everyone!

Last edited:

Congratulations for having a new christmast present! :beer:
Glad to hear that you did get good Jet Laser unit after unsuccesful DL order.

PS
We need more outdoor beamshots.. ;)

Reactions: GSS
Good evening, guys :beer:

In this review I’m going to express my emotions and experience with my new Jetlasers PL-e PRO 532nm@800mw, prepare for lots of green :wave:

I know that this was though decision to choose that laser, because i do not own a LPM to see exact power. I needed a company I can trust to. After my unsuccess with DL, i decided to give JL a try. I wanted spectacular host with decent power. I got a stable DPSS unit! Definite success! Let's get into review :yh:

Shipping and order:

The shipping and handling were smooth and fast. I placed an order on 10 December and received unit on 21 December. Shipping method FedEx.

After paying all taxes, ~200$ whole amount of cash was huge. 637$ +200$ tax.

While laser was on its way, we talked with Gray about all concerns (very good customer care).

Delivery & First impressions:

The laser came in well-packed box with 4 - layer bubble wrap.

S0Jkaf.jpg

A solid box:

QLmhac.jpg

Contents of the box:

GlTx4M.jpg

oOLVS5.jpg

They also included me one universal 26650 charger.

Laser in a box:

fm3qyo.jpg

I was amazed how big this laser is. Definitely not a pocket sized laser.

Comparison with CNI-PGL-III-M & pen

qVInDQ.jpg

Specs & More:

Best mode is between 20-25 °C I got TEM10, a circle and dot inside. On cold starts (~15 °C) there's round TEM00 dot.

Modes:

pohbxhsgj

Ri7fr9.jpg

At temperatures over 40°C mode is messing in TEM02-03, however power is still decent.

Not a big issue.

Current draw:
Tail: 2,3A
LED: 7mA

Host:

hY4CFu.jpg

Host of this laser is best in my opinion, I’ll give it 10/10.
No scratches, everything is smooth, focusing feature offers precise focusing.

9N0psX.jpg

Pros:
1. High quality machined host.
2. AR coated glass for 532nm, easy-cleanable if window gets dirty.
3. Momentary switch.
4. CW switch
5. Overall it’s cool looking.

Cons:
1. Not water resistant, has hole in host and driver is exposed to moisture/rain.
2. Momentary switch can be unintentionally pushed.
3. Mostly not TEM00 mode.
4. Can't fit my pocket.

Beamshots:

:drool:

Daylit room:

7yh4Ik.jpg

Front view:

MHSKvd.jpg

Mid day shoot: :D

v34diw.jpg

Divergence:

I'm simply amazed. The beam diameter at 10m (~32ft) is only 1cm wide!!! :na:

zmZFt9.jpg

Comparison:

ieJk7c.jpg

More outdoor beamshots coming this evening!

Conclusion:

It's best 532nm for that price IMO. Will recommend Jetlasers, for their high quality builds and modules, customer service they offer are outstanding. Pleasure to do business with. THIS IS MY BOOMSTICK! :eg: :gun:
Have a great christmas everyone!

I have the same model; the beam is TEM00 within the specified operating temperature range. I do not operate it outside that range. If you're impressed with a 1cm spot consider swapping the pollination lens for a lens with a slightly longer focal length. Of course wait until the warranty expires.

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Thanks for sharing your new J/L PLE Pro with us, Nexgen! :beer:

Glad to see Jetlasers came through for you, especially after your recent bad experience with DL.
I like your pros and cons, but the only "con" I can see would be the non tem00 mode.

One question though, does your dot remain in a tem10 type mode if you change the focusing adjustment; I was just asking since the tem10 mode looks similar to reflections from a lens barrel.

Nexgen

Thanks for sharing your new J/L PLE Pro with us, Nexgen! :beer:

Glad to see Jetlasers came through for you, especially after your recent bad experience with DL.
I like your pros and cons, but the only "con" I can see would be the non tem00 mode.

One question though, does your dot remain in a tem10 type mode if you change the focusing adjustment; I was just asking since the tem10 mode looks similar to reflections from a lens barrel.

Just checked that, no focusing is not playing any role here, it’s just same at all focus positions. Burning with this laser is cool tho, easily lights matches hard way.

Wondering why current draw is only 2,3A? Pump should be at least 4-5Watts? If 2,3A makes 800mw 532, efficiency is up to 40%. Better than NDG7475?

Last edited:

Gazen

That’s a sweet laser:drool:
I can hardly wait for my own mini JL-P to arrive. Have fun with your boomstick, and have a safe holiday! :yh:

Last edited:
This host is the same as is used on many Chinese lasers for sale. I would be disappointed with the TEM mode. I don't have any 532nm lasers that have longitudinal modes that aren't TEM00 when within the temperature specs. Thank you for reviewing it here. If I had bought it, I would have already complained to JET Lasers. This is how I learn what is out there and how well it performs. Do you have a way to measure the optical power? Wondering how close to 800 mW it actually is. At 10 meters, a cm in diameter is not something to brag about.

Last edited:

diachi

Just checked that, no focusing is not playing any role here, it’s just same at all focus positions. Burning with this laser is cool tho, easily lights matches hard way.

Wondering why current draw is only 2,3A? Pump should be at least 4-5Watts? If 2,3A makes 800mw 532, efficiency is up to 40%. Better than NDG7475?

Pump is probably anywhere between 3-5W.

You'd need to measure the current to the LD to figure it out with any sort of accuracy. 808nm LDs are usually around 1A/W.

You're measuring a current of 2.3A@4.2V (assuming a full charge) before the driver, if it's using a switching buck driver then the current consumption of the driver doesn't tell you what the LD current is. Some quick maths puts the LD current somewhere between 4-5A.

Pin=9.66W (4.2*2.3)
LDvf=1.8V (typical for an 808nm diode)
Current at 1.8V = 5.367A.

Factor in a driver efficiency of 90% and you get 4.83A.

Of course, those are rough numbers, driver efficiency could be higher or lower, battery voltage could be lower, LD voltage could be higher or lower.

Last edited:

Nexgen

This host is the same as is used on many Chinese lasers for sale. I would be disappointed with the TEM mode. I don't have any 532nm lasers that have longitudinal modes that aren't TEM00 when within the temperature specs. Thank you for reviewing it here. If I had bought it, I would have already complained to JET Lasers. This is how I learn what is out there and how well it performs. Do you have a way to measure the optical power? Wondering how close to 800 mW it actually is. At 10 meters, a cm in diameter is not something to brag about.

I don’t have LPM right now, but I will invest in one and test my lasers. I was hoping for TEM00 too, but being really close to it doesn’t really disappoint me. Mode is actually messy when temp goes up to 40-50°C, like something is on the lens, while it’s not. On their site it’s advertised as “Near TEM00”. So I was aware of it.

Pump is probably anywhere between 3-5W.

You'd need to measure the current to the LD to figure it out with any sort of accuracy. 808nm LDs are usually around 1A/W.

You're measuring a current of 2.3A@4.2V (assuming a full charge) before the driver, if it's using a switching buck driver then the current consumption of the driver doesn't tell you what the LD current is. Some quick maths puts the LD current somewhere between 4-5A.

Pin=9.66W (4.2*2.3)
LDvf=1.8V (typical for an 808nm diode)
Current at 1.8V = 5.367A.

Factor in a driver efficiency of 90% and you get 4.83A.

Of course, those are rough numbers, driver efficiency could be higher or lower, battery voltage could be lower, LD voltage could be higher or lower.

Nicely explained, good to know that current draw of body doesn’t matter at all on the inner parts.

Last edited:

BobMc

Great laser, great write up and read. I have a pl532 mini rated at 600 mw's. When I LPM'd it it came in at over 800 mw's so I think you'll be pleasantly surprised when you get a chance to measure it. Enjoy that (broom stick) :crackup: :)

Nexgen

Great laser, great write up and read. I have a pl532 mini rated at 600 mw's. When I LPM'd it it came in at over 800 mw's so I think you'll be pleasantly surprised when you get a chance to measure it. Enjoy that (broom stick) :crackup: :)

Glad to know that! I will order Hyperion soon.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
The 465nm 1.4W. This hobby is draining my wallet fast, but I couldn’t resist the temptation of a new laser for Christmas.

This hobby will do that to you, and now that you're addicted, the only help is "Lasers Anonymous" and that's not guaranteed. :D

Good choice in going with the 465nm 1.4W, it's a great wavelength in a cool midsize PL-E style host, I'm sure you'll like it! Here's a mini review of mine from 4/17.

Last edited:

Nexgen

Another more “issue” that cold laser can’t even light a match, so probably output becomes less than 200mw. Got some troubles using it outdoors. Unlike my Spartan, it’s just warms up really quickly and gets max output even if temp is very low. JL laser never warms up in a cold environment. I can say that this laser will not work properly outdoors.

What’s matter guys? DL crystal gets full output at cold temp. The only explaination that 800mw of DPSS is hard to keep in a handheld?

Still can’t deal with fact that this laser outputs two beams :/

Last edited: