Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Jetlasers Beam Expander - Does anyone have a silver one?

I'm looking at the Jetlasers web site tonight at their beam expanders, I see they sell a silver one. Does anyone here have one you can post pictures of? Is it painted silver or is it silver due to being unpainted aluminum?

10X Adjustable Beam Expander

Gabe

I've never owned one and couldn't find many pics of a silver one, but I'm pretty sure what jetlasers does is for silver, they leave it as the raw aluminum and coat it/clear anodize it, and for black aluminum they anodize it black, not paint it. An anodized coating is harder than aluminum itself btw, so no need to worry about chipping colours if that's what you're asking for.

Thanks, I have this question in two threads, I combined it with another question in the GB Zak is offering, but you are the first to answer. I was thinking it might be paint, but now that you mention it, I can see it is an anodized finish. I just wanted one which would match the aluminum from a Ehgemus host.

Gabe

Thanks, I have this question in two threads, I combined it with another question in the GB Zak is offering, but you are the first to answer. I was thinking it might be paint, but now that you mention it, I can see it is an anodized finish. I just wanted one which would match the aluminum from a Ehgemus host.

Yeah, if you have an aluminum ehgemus host and want a silver expander, they'll probably be the same colour and appearance, so long as the finish is the same on both. Wonder how easy it will be to polish PL-E Pros and Expanders to a mirror finish... :thinking:

I have a black and a silver one. I'll post pics tomorrow afternoon. It seems to be anodized silver.

here you go Chris.

IMG_20151206_114559_edit_1449431178209_zpsdus7lam3.jpg

Great, that is nice, it will match natural aluminum very nicely, thank you!

Gabe

Wow, that's a higher polish than I expected. I would've guessed it to be the same type of finish as a silver PL-E Pro. Thanks Jeff

Wow, that's a higher polish than I expected. I would've guessed it to be the same type of finish as a silver PL-E Pro. Thanks Jeff

Maybe its just the pic or possibly Jet Lasers changed their silver anodizing but my PLE that goes with this expander is the exact same finish. Its actually a bit too glittery for my taste and kinda wish i got the black one. The silver makes it look like plastic kids toy IMO.

Gabe

The camera makes it look shinier I believe, but my laser still seems more matte than your expander... Huh

Must just be the pic Gabe. Mine looks the same as yours. Do you lIke the silver?

Gabe

Must just be the pic Gabe. Mine looks the same as yours. Do you lIke the silver?

I'm okay with it. I dont hate it, but I do agree that it sometimes doesn't even look like aluminum, more like a plastic. It's just in that uncanny valley of polish, where it's not chrome and it's not matte, I'm not a huge fan. I'd rather have a mirror polish PL-E Pro, any day of the week,