Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

JetLasers 30mw 473nm

GR3EN

So I recently purchased a 473nm from jetlasers and I just received it today.

Buying:

Price: $324

The actual buying process was pretty simple as they support PayPal which was really convenient. It went as smooth as possible not a single complaint.

My one and only issue with the purchasing was the fact that emails leading up to the purchase led no indication of the 50mw version coming back. I would have definitely waited and spent the additional $30. It is not really anyone's fault I would of just assumed they would have wanted to promote new upcoming products? So now two weeks later I just receive my 30mw and now suddenly there is the 50mw for sale.

Shipping:

The shipping is another story. I placed the order on 3/29 with all intentions of it swiftly shipping within a 3 day or so window. However, there was an obvious lack of communication as I was never notified there would be a delay due to Chinese "easter" holiday as I was told later on. So my order did not end up shipping until 4/6. A bit of a let down with the whole lack of communication thing, but they were prompt to reply to my emails so overall customer service wise it went well.

Another discrepancy with the shipping was when I did finally get a tracking number I was told it was for FedEx. So I tried FedEx to no avail. So before I emailed them back again I decided to just give it a try on DHL and it ended up working. So there was also mis-communication on the shipping service and tracking as well.

I received it today at 3pm 4/10 from DHL which was 3 days earlier than original predicted by DHL. So the shipping speed was excellent.

Packaging/contents:

Again I will let photos speak.

1zvevzb.jpg

3013mma.jpg

2rniixw.jpg

akew78.jpg

s15mj9.jpg

2i1ntyu.jpg

21djxhw.jpg

The packaging was very nice. The content however I was kind of disappointed but surprised at the same time. Right off the bat from seeing previous reviews I noticed only 1 style battery tube which was a little disappointing, but I can lives with it. Surprisingly I noticed the key switch tail cap which I know is a newer update so that was nice and best of all IT FUNCTIONS. The battery charger is nice, but not a necessity. It also came with the battery tube for 18650 and 2 microfiber clothes id assume for cleaning the lens.

Also it did not come with a power graph just a warranty card.

Laser:

Now for the laser itself. I've read about them, but now actually having one I definitely agree. The pro host is a BEAST it's huge and feels like a brick in your hand (in a good way). It easily feels like the most solid laser I own. I also noticed on the one I got the momentary switch has been switched to a metal button instead of the rubber one that some previous reviewers kind of had a gripe about with it "sticking" so it seems like a solid upgrade. The dust cover screw in is very nice as well. Some people have said you have to be careful with crown as to not cut your fingers, but I don't seem to have the same issue personally.

Now I do have one gripe with the laser/one of the contents and that is the battery tube insert for 18650s. It just doesn't have a snug fit as I had expected. If you use it with a 18650 and move the laser around you can hear the battery shift inside. It still functions properly and does the job, just to me personally it is kind of lackluster. 26650 fits nice and snug though and I can see why they obviously recommend them to be used.

The 3 small lights by the power button light up red when the laser is active (using the key to activate the laser) and they go off when de-activated.

I will only provide one picture as you can go to their website and see plenty of photos.

2w7enuo.jpg

Beam Divergence:

I brought my digital micrometer home from work today and decided to give my hand at measuring beam divergence using the beam divergence calculator. I measured at the aperture (or as close as I could with the large crown on the host) and again at about 5 Ft (using a tape measure for distance)

After measuring both in mm and plugging them into the calculator along with distances I got a result of approximately 1.17mrad.

JetLaser's website has a list of 1mrad divergence adjustable with focus. So assuming mine is not perfectly focused at the moment the result is pretty nice.

Dot:

I did the best to take a picture of the dot by itself. It seems to hold TEM00 pretty well after it's approx. 20sec warm up. During warm up there can be some jumping to what looks like possibly TEM01.

655x21.jpg

Power:

Measured the power with a fresh Efest purple 26650. For 2 mins.

Overall a little disappointing it doesn't seem to be as over-powered as some of the other jetlaser products I've seen reviewed, but it is over-powered a little and surprisingly very stable and it does meet the specifications it was sold as so I can't complain either. I will be interested to see what their graph shows and to try power tests at other temperatures.

Test 2:

So I got my new battery in today I bought just for this laser. The battery used in the first test was an efest 26650 3.7v 3500mah with a rated discharge current of 32A continuous/64A pulse (I use 2 in my 462nm laser). For this laser I decided to purchase a different efest battery which is the efest 26650 3.7v 4200mah with a rated discharge of 20A continuous and 50A pulsed. In this test I also let the laser warm up for a 2 min run, cool for a minute or so, and just hold it for about 30minutes or so to help warm it up and then test. I got completely different results with another 2min run.

Official jetlasers power graph:
142d6hv.png

Beamshots:

scrgpj.jpg

f2379t.jpg

24l8u8p.jpg

More later when it gets darker.

Conclusion:

Overall I would have to say there were both high points and low points in the purchasing and receiving of this laser. However, I must say this seems like a hell of a laser for the price and wouldn't hesitate to deal with jetlasers again.

Thank you for reading

Last edited:

Encap

Nice job on the review of your experience purchasing a JetLasers PL-E 473nm PL-E Pro.

Great laser--enjoy it!

Professional level high quality laser from JetLasers as always.

Last edited:
Good to hear it ended up getting to you! 473 is an amazing color & few get to see it :)

+rep(need to spread) and enjoy that beauty!

-Alex

Last edited:

GR3EN

Thank you. Power metering video is up now.

:thanks:

Last edited:
Re: JetLasers 30mw 473nm (power test up)

Beam diameter? Beam divergence? Current draw? Focus ability? Temperature rise? Voltage window required for regulation?

GR3EN

Beam diameter? Beam divergence? Current draw? Focus ability? Temperature rise? Voltage window required for regulation?

In terms of measuring beam diameter, divergence etc. I've not made myself familiar with how to measure them yet unfortunately.

It does have a focusing mechanism which is nice. There is a single line on the focusing ring as well as fractional type lines going all the way around the below the focus mechanism so you can line them up and also remember which line you had it focused to for a certain estimated distance etc.

In my 2 minute LPM test the host itself did not get the slightest bit of warm to me as for actual temperature rise I do not have a way to measure it.

Also do not have any tools to measure anything electrical.

Voltage window required? Not sure what that would be and/or how to find out. Sorry I am not exactly experienced in all of the technical stuff.

Encap

So I recently purchased a 473nm from jetlasers and I just received it today.

Buying:

My one and only issue with the purchasing was the fact that emails leading up to the purchase led no indication of the 50mw version coming back. I would have definitely waited and spent the additional $30. It is not really anyone's fault I would of just assumed they would have wanted to promote new upcoming products? So now two weeks later I just receive my 30mw and now suddenly there is the 50mw for sale.

I am sure if you email Gray at Jetlasers jetlasers@gmail.com and explain the above to him, he would be happy to allow you to return the 30mW 473nm and exchange for a 50mW 473mW if you pay the additional $30. Gray/JetLasers is very good that way and only want happy satisfied customers. Gray and JetLasers customer service is the best in the business. If anyone is ever unhappy with a purchase they have no problem with return for full refund.
Am not sure if you would have to pay the shipping charges to return it to them or not nor am I sure about the cost of shipping you a 50mW. Either or both of which would make the exchange more expensive than $30. In the case of a defective product I know Jetlasers allow does cover the cost of returning the product to them but that is a different situation.

You can ask and find out what Gray can do.

Last edited:

GR3EN

I am sure if you email Gray at Jetlasers jetlasers@gmail.com and explain the above to him, he would be happy to allow you to return the 30mW 473nm and exchange for a 50mW 473mW if you pay the additional $30. Gray/JetLasers is very good that way and only want happy satisfied customers. Gray and JetLasers customer service is the best in the business. If anyone is ever unhappy with a purchase they have no problem with return for full refund.
Am not sure if you would have to pay the shipping charges to return it to them or not nor am I sure about the cost of shipping you a 50mW. Either or both of which would make the exchange more expensive than $30. In the case of a defective product I know Jetlasers allow does cover the cost of returning the product to them but that is a different situation.

You can ask an see what Gray says.

It was a little disappointing, but nothing to get upset about. Mine meters at almost 40mw peak and I'm sure it will go higher under better circumstances. All the hassle of doing all of that on top of extra money is definitely not enough to justify an extra guaranteed minimum of 10mw. If I recall I don't think they will be metering 100mw+ again since I believe the main reason some of the older ones measured so very high was due to IR from the switch to a lackluster IR filter/lack there of in some incidents. Now that they have the IR situation sorted I think it will be luck of the draw to have a good over-speced one.

At the end of the day I got what I paid for and no one can be unsatisfied about that :) Just loving the skyish blue color no matter what form it's in.

Last edited:

Encap

It was a little disappointing, but nothing to get upset about. Mine meters at almost 40mw peak and I'm sure it will go higher under better circumstances. All the hassle of doing all of that on top of extra money is definitely not enough to justify an extra guaranteed minimum of 10mw. If I recall I don't think they will be metering 100mw+ again since I believe the main reason some of the older ones measured so very high was due to IR from the switch to a lackluster IR filter/lack there of in some incidents. Now that they have the IR situation sorted I think it will be luck of the draw to have a good over-speced one.

At the end of the day I got what I paid for and no one can be unsatisfied about that :) Just loving the skyish blue color no matter what form it's in.

Yes, the early 473nm lasers metered 100mW or so because of IR due to ineffective IR filters, a problem that was solved long ago.

A 50mW 473nm would not be much different + there is the time and cost of doing an exchange.

I agree 100% -- I think what you have already an excellent example of a rare and fantastic 473nm laser.

Enjoy it.

PS Post some full darkness/nighttime photos of the 473nm when you can.

Last edited:

Also do not have any tools to measure anything electrical.

$300 for a laser pointer? SOLD!
$150 for a laser power meter? SOLD!
$10 for a digital mutimeter, the most useful electrical tool known to man? NO INTENTION OF BUYING

EwPkP.jpg

Last edited:

$10 for a digital mutimeter, the most useful electrical tool known to man? HELL NO

EwPkP.jpg

LOL, I too lack a multi meter but have an LPM. guess I just care more about the output than the current. I still will take a crack at all the data I can manage, divergence and beam diameter are fairly simple to work out or at least approximate. before I'd go so far as to call something a review I'd try my best to compile as much technical data and objective observations as possible, though I see "review" doesnt appear in the title. though it is in the "review" section.

Last edited:

... Not really sure JL has two 473s-- some just turn out better-DPSS is funny like that.

and AFAIK all the JL 473s need to be run long enough to get quite warm before a a real average can be metered-

PMing on measuring divergence-

Second diamond pattern battery tube & another sleeve coming-

hak

Last edited:

$10 for a digital mutimeter, the most useful electrical tool known to man? NO INTENTION OF BUYING

EwPkP.jpg

Cyp go easy on him. The point of a review is to have fun and give an overview of the laser one bought, it's fine if it isn't 100% detailed ;)

-Alex

Cyp go easy on him. The point of a review is to have fun and give an overview of the laser one bought, it's fine if it isn't 100% detailed ;)

-Alex

not really. the point is to give as much info and opinion as possible to help others decide if they want the same or something different, as well as to know if the seller's claims are valid

not really. the point is to give as much info and opinion as possible to help others decide if they want the same or something different, as well as to know if the seller's claims are valid

Alright, agreed. But having fun in a review is also important ;)

-Alex