Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

JDSU Argon

wby300

I got a JDSU 2110 ps with a 2211 argon head a few months ago with 2 CO2 lasers I got, it has sat since while waiting on a power cord. It takes the goofy computer type cord with the horizontal prongs. Finally got the cord yesterday and tried to fire it up, got on here and did some research because it just ticked and no dot.

I let it tick for 20 minutes or so today and nothing, so I was contemplating defibrilating it. I took the cover off and was looking around and noticed a red wire at the front that wasnt plugged in. I tried to fire it up again and it didnt even tick, just produced a dot and ran bright!

Attachments

• IMAG0223.jpg
    IMAG0223.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 457
  • IMAG0224.jpg
    IMAG0224.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 315
Last edited:

wby300

Yes, very well too. I need to get a fan attached now, it came with a dryer vent hose attachment on top with no fan.

Looks awesome! I have a place for a single line (or multi line) argon in my collection, I cannot wait to fill it eventually. Have fun with your new wavelength!

wby300

Thanks, it is a very cool looking turquoise color. I have no idea if it is a multi line or single, I actually dont care because it is cool either way. This may actually be for sale, I need to fund another project.

you can find out now- bounce it off a cd or dvd- you will see either all blue or colors from green to blue to violet

.But I think I can tell you now that if you dont see ML on the label its a single line-

DO NOT run her very long at all without a nice size squirrel cage fan- occasionaly they come up at FeeBay or found at surplus places . IIRC 40cfs..they may be in a bigger housing that you can't use for your argon .Its important that the fan sucks air from the head.

That may force you to either build a box around it or attach your hose to a flange on the side of the cage- I used a PVC collor and a whole tube of JB. It should be run (at idle is OK) for about 30 min each month to stay healthy . Resident experts on these ( & my teachers) include mariomaster,daguin, Gooygus,
diachi, Hemlock Mike and a few others too.

The argon bible is Sam's Laser.

In there you can find what output it should be making and more info. Meridith has a good deal(make offer) for the jdsu remote interface- but you can also control with other methods.

You may be lucky like me and if overheated it will safely shut down and work again once cool- let the fan run for a while after you power down- I unplug my Argons after cool as I found they can stay on a sorta standby and use power and stay quite warm.

dont scrimp on the cooling ...too much N/P ... not enough not so good.

it is a very nice shade of blue--noisy - hot- eats electricity and IMO well worth all those things. I am going to run my ML tonite- it been too long.

cheerz
hak

Last edited:

wby300

I have been all over Sams laser faq reading. I actually have some high volume fans, they came off of CO2 lasers, right now they are attached to radiators but they move some air.

AUS

My argon is a single line, but i got ONE extra line out of it feeding it through a prism, a darker blue line, probably 454.6nm.

Things

Hehe, this post has pushed me to get my ML argon working again! Just had to send off a new ignitor PCB design.

They're impractical, but it's great fun and very exciting getting your first gas laser working. In a few years time they'll probably be nonexistent.

wby300

I appreciate the pdf but I cannot view it. My computer has done some funky stuff and I cannot view anything related to a 32 bit program, I cannot run any 32 stuff including virus programs, or 32 bit installers which covers almost everything. I can browse the internet but have to use google quick view if its available because the pdf add on for IE and firefox is a 32 bit app. Thanks for the info though!

I highly doubt 454 - the gain on that line is very low. If anything, the mirrors would only allow for the 476.5 line.

Last edited:

wby300

This has a sticker on the back that says it was tested ok in 2004, I just noticed it has an hour meter inside so I will look and see the hours next time I fire it up.

Enjoy your argon. They're the prettiest space heater you'll ever own. I fired mine up more than once this past winter just to warm up the room a bit. :san:

All joking aside they have to be one of the coolest wavelengths you can own. If you ever have the opportunity to get a multiline go for it. Pictures just don't do it justice.

Hi, first time poster here.
I've got a bum JDSU Argon laser to dink around with as my summer project. It's in the 2214 series and I need a new tube for it, I think. I don't really want to bother with re-gassing. Have any suggestions?