Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

JDSU Argon 60mW multi won't start

cutube1.jpg

cy40m-1.jpg

I have a JDSU Mod 2011 65ML (multiline) square box type Argon Kr laser and 2210 series JDSU power supply on an antique Leica TCS confocal scope I cadged from the govt junk yard.

The laser is set up in remote current adj mode, but it will not fire and has only 1500 hours on it! So it is nearly unused, but has not fired in 7 years probably. Supposedly it was rated useable!

The PS interlock light looks good (green), the 230CVAC JDSU power supply starts up and a click is heard in the PSU. PSU power ON. Now I turn the remote key to ON, then ignite. I hear nothing on the laser head and there is no light from the unit. The electromagnetic shutter is removed. Jumpering 1-3 on the PS control does nada either. Starting up, the head only slowly gets warm, and an orange filament glow is seen from the back mirror. The mirrors are permanently aligned.
:thinking::thinking::thinking:

What should I be checking to exorcise the demon in my unit?
  1. The spark gap...I do not see one on my model!
  2. The over temp sensor on the laser?
  3. Tube needs exercising. Hit it with a tesla coil...where? When it is on?
  4. Look for a blown SCR?
Nate

daguin

If your PSU has the round AMP interface for the remote, jumper 12<->13 AND 36<->37

If your PSU has the flat interface (can't recall the number) for the remote, jumper 1-3 AND 2-13

Peace,
dave

Last edited:
Thanks. :D that did the trick for the Leica!...I got a bright blue beam.
1-3, 2-13 ... pins on a DB25 connector. I pointed the duct at the exhaust fan, but it shut off after a while.

In this setting it is on idle?

I think it shut off, probably because the fan was not set right in the unit and I overheated a tad. Beam looked pretty good though. I will add a fan to the top of the rectangular JDSU box. THe ductwork is flaky IMHO.

I guess my external controller connections are faulty or dirty, so it never started, or the DC voltage to the starter and current pot is not good.

Nate.

Last edited:

daguin

Thanks. :D that did the trick for the Leica!...I got a bright blue beam.
1-3, 2-13 ... pins on a DB25 connector. I pointed the duct at the exhaust fan, but it shut off after a while.

In this setting it is on idle?

I think it shut off, probably because the fan was not set right in the unit and I overheated a tad. Beam looked pretty good though. I will add a fan to the top of the rectangular JDSU box. THe ductwork is flaky IMHO.

I guess my external controller connections are faulty or dirty, so it never started, or the DC voltage to the starter and current pot is not good.

Nate.

Yes. That jumper scheme lets it run at idle.

The fan needs to suck air in through the sides and out the top.

There should be a schematic for a simple controller in Sam's Laser FAQ
You can use it to check the wiring of your controller

Peace,
dave