Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

JDSU 2114ML Cooling Question

Hey, I need the expertise of you argon guys. I'm about to fire up a JDSU 2114ML but I don't have the cooling fan available for use at this time. My goal is just to get the tube to light and see that it works. Can I fire up the unit without the forced air from the cooling fan?

FrothyChimp said:
Hey, I need  the expertise of you argon guys. I'm about to fire up a JDSU 2114ML but I don't have the cooling fan available for use at this time. My goal is just to get the tube to light and see that it works. Can I fire up the unit without the forced air from the cooling fan?

You can fire it up just to see if the tube strikes, but I'd switch it off after no more than 5 seconds or so - you could also use a small brushless pc fan for extra insurance.

Man I need to get an argon again...

yup! Like MM said you're good to go as long as you dont let it run too long. I've idled tubes with no fans for up to a minute without the temp. interlock kicking in, so I'd say keep it under a minute at the absolute most, and obviously less if you are turning up the tube current.

FrothyChimp;

I just got back from looking at several Uniphase #2214-30SLQT Argon lasers.

The label says 1/2 Watt.

(Edit) Actually 30mw @ 488nm output.

They were still looking for the power supplies when I left.

LarryDFW

daguin

LarryDFW said:
FrothyChimp;
I just got back from looking at several Uniphase #2214-30SLQT Argon lasers.
The label says 1/2 Watt. Some 488nm output.
They were still looking for the power supplies when I left.
LarryDFW

All the labels say .50W or .25W The number before the SL (etc.) is the rated output for that laser. 2214-30SLQT is rated at 30mW. The actual output is often very different from the rated output, but it's a start <shrug>

Peace,
dave