Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Jayrob SAIK kit with DTR 445 diode in copper module with G-2 and FMT V1.1 Driver

dpup5520

So, as the long title up there says, I finally got around to putting together Jayrob's sweet SAIK 305 build kit with one of DTRs 445nm M140's in a copper module and one of Foulmist's v1.1 drivers set at 1715mA. For some reason I think I seem to have all the bad luck sometimes as I'll explain as I go.

First, the SAIK is a beautiful host and I was quite impressed with the heatsink and the pill being drilled out and all ready to have the driver attached to the leads. I also like the weight of the host and the full grip that you can get on it, it just feel nice in the hand.

Since I was mounting the driver to the heatsink I put the module in the heatsink first since I had the driver over lapsing the hole a little bit and wouldn't be able to get the module in afterwards. When screwing in the set screw I realized that no matter what the module was becoming crocked whenever I tightened the set screw, weird. At first I thought that the heatsink was drilled out wrong but I realized that when I had unscrewed the G-2 lens and tried to screw it back in it wouldn't screw in past infinity without some trouble, and a G-1 lense with teflon on it wouldn't screw in at all so I suspect that theres something wrong with the module.

After getting the module in I thermally glued Foulmist's driver which was set at 1715mA to the heatsink and soldered the driver to the wires from the pill and then to the diode wires. I decided to leave the diode wires from DTR's diode mostly intact (I cut them down about halfway) since there is so much room inside this host that I really didn't have to worry about everything fitting on the inside. After that It was just screwing everything back in and trying it out.

One thing I didn't mention was while unscrewing the G-2 from the module the first time was that the retaining ring on the bottom unscrewed itself and fell into the module, thankfully it didnt damage the diode. However, I stupidly dumped the lens into my hand and smugged it up quite badly before reinstalling it in the lens holder so the lens is quite messed up right now until I can get something to clean it with.

Even with these minor issues I still love the way this all came out, and I still think it looks amazing. Foulmist's driver works perfectly with this build, duty cycles are amazing (I shut it off at 180 seconds and it was barely warm), and the G-2 lens really makes quite a difference with the beam, although I'm not a big fan of the spot but sacrafices and all I suppose.

Some pictures are attached, I would upload them somewhere else first but imgur and flickr seem to not like my connection here.

Attachments

Last edited:

Blord

The build surely looks good. The SAIK host is a good big host with enough heatsinking capacity and 1715mA is a safe setting for the M140 diode.
Thanks for sharing it us. :gj:

foulmist

:beer: congrats man, good to hear you overcame those minor problems and you finally put the driver to a good use :)

dpup5520

Thanks! I still got the 450mA V 1.1 left and I think its gonna go in a B-50 with a 300mw mitsu

Laser Smith

You may wanna clean that lens soon or you may end up cooking your smudges right onto it

jayrob

LPF Site Supporter
Nice job...

Hey about that driver. Is it for a single cell? Or are you using 3 X 14500's?

dpup5520

Nice job...

Hey about that driver. Is it for a single cell? Or are you using 3 X 14500's?
It's a buck-boost driver. I was thinking about modifying the holder to use 3x 14500s in parallel but according to his documentation you need a battery that can put out about 2800mah at this current and I didn't think they'd be able to handle it, so I'm using the 32600 battery you sent me to drive it.

jayrob

LPF Site Supporter
Hmmm... Is there a link to the driver?

Edit: Never mind, found the link in his sig...

Last edited: