Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

James bond style watch...

JasonV

Hey everyone,
  I was just wondering if there were any normal, functioning wrist watches with a laser diode built in. If not, what do you think would take to be able to make something like that?  I am confident that it shouldn't be too hard to do until you try to get into a laser that would actually have burning power... in which case i am making a very amateur assumption that the energy source would be the toughest obstacle to overcome without making the watch seem suspect. I look forward to all your opinions!
thanks,
jason.

It sounds very possible.

The laser diode itself will be the 'fixed size' obstacle.

The module and lense can be fabricated to be slightly thinner and more compact than the AixiZ modules we currnetly use, while still have a focusing lense. The lense can be made of better materials to achieve a higher refraction index thus allowing it to be smaller.

The driver can be made with SMD (surface mount devices) semiconductors. Of coz they won't take the current load for long w/o overheating but that doesn't mean it won't work :)

Batteries can also be minaiturised at the expense of capacity. Again it doesn't mean it won't work.

Based on the power densities that we're looking at, if we did indeed make a laser wristwatch we can be sure the operating time will be very short.

Switch

You're making it sound too hard...
I bet it can be DIYed by just about anyone, just using button cells, or 2032's and using a standard lens.If you are gonna be able to get the amount of current necesary for burning from those tiny batteries, I think it's highly doable.If you want a working watch , that's gonna be just a little bit harder, but still doable.It would sacrifice diode lifetime, duty cycle and battery lifetime, but might proove very useful if you find yourself strapped to a chair with black tape :D

I wanna make the other James Bond laser..... you know... you know... in die another day the bad guys used the big mirror one in geo synchronous orbit? kekekeke

well it cant be too hard. mainly because the power source of it could be separate from the watch itself. like maybe a wire running from the watch, up your arm and into your pocket. just wear a long sleeve shirt and your set ;D