Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

ishow with windows 7

so i got lucky with the Reke-500RGB deal over on lasersman and i picked up am ishow DAC but i cant seem to get it to work with windows 7 has anybody gotten this DAC to work with win 7?

My Win7 won't run any laser programs. I dosen't appear to support 7.1 audio programs. I'm waiting to get my computer reloaded back to XP.
HMike

MLenox --- Thanks for the PM +1 for you

Last edited:
its not that i cant get the software working because iShow installs just fine but what im having an issue with is getting the drivers to install for the DAC even if i try manually assigning the drivers to the device it wont work.....i think when i get home im going to try to create a virtual system running XP on my laptop to try and install the drivers on the XP installation...not sure if that will work though. if not i think i need to build a DAC then

I have virtual XP in Win7. It is a scam. Working with virtual memories in this wasteland is a waste of time -- at least for me. I can't find an audio 7.1 system here which will run in Win7.
HMike

vk2fro

im going to try to create a virtual system running XP on my laptop to try and install the drivers on the XP installation

If thats the same laptop that wont load the drivers in windows 7 this will NOT work. The drivers must be succesfully loaded by the host system so the host can pass the device type etc onto the guest.

Here is what I suggest you do.

1. If available, update the chipset driver on your computer.
2. Plug in the DAC. Go to control panel and set it to big icons so all the items appear. Choose device manager.
3. Find the ishow dac in the list. It will either be under usb devices or ports.
4. Right click it and choose "uninstall". If offered the option, choose to delete the drivers as well.
5. Uninstall the ishow program and the ishow drivers.
6. REBOOT (very important!)
7. Repeat step (4) for the other usb ports on the computer. If the computer is looking for drivers when you plug it into the others, that particular usb port is "cleaned". If it doesnt, look for it in device manager and delete it as above.
8. Create a restore point. Call it "system cleaned of ishow"
9. Now before plugging in the ishow, install the latest drivers you can find for it.
10. REBOOT (Yes again!)
11. Install the ishow laser show program (or something that can drive an ishow)
12. Reboot yet again.
13. Wait for the computer to finish rebooting. Cross your fingers and plug in the ishow.

Hopefully this will make the dac do as its told.

I had an issue similar to this with a pocket 3g modem. It wouldnt work in the front ports of my desktop (where it got the best signal). I'd been assisting a poor lass on the whirlpool forums and was testing a bunch of 3G modems to pick the better one to send to her. This confused the heck out of my poor i5, and it would no longer work with my pocket wifi. By plugging all the other 3G modems in and "deleting" them in the fashion described above, including my pocket wifi, I was able to get it going again in the front ports, with 5 bars of signal.

Hope I have helped ya :)

denial

As long as the program that is creating the virtual environment (I use Fusion on a mac) has the option of passing the USB connection straight to the XP environment, it does work. I am looking at an animation right now that is being controlled through an XP virtualization on this machine, while I type this reply using a browser in OS X.

The Ishow driver WILL NOT work with Win7 out of the box.

The reason being, is it uses a Cypress USB controller, and they do not offer a driver compatible with Win7 for the particular IC being used, which uses the Cypress EZUSB drivers.

I have had to modify the EZUSB driver before for Win7, and got it to work.

I have started modifying the driver for IShow. I got the driver to work with Win7, but I randomly get a BSOD quite frequently. I am going to finish it off in the next week or so when I can find a solution to the BSOD problem.

vk2fro- i tried that and no luck....

i also tried using winXP in a virtual environment using VMWare....no dice either :-(

Sputnik77- so your saying your working on a driver for the iShow DAC? thats great! i wish i knew how to do that

denial

i also tried using winXP in a virtual environment using VMWare....no dice either :-(

Sorry to hear that, I know that I've never had an issue with it working with XP in VMWare.
Sputnik77- so your saying your working on a driver for the iShow DAC? thats great! i wish i knew how to do that
That is awesome, I also wish I knew how to do that :)

vk2fro- i tried that and no luck....

Its not working 100% yet. I have simply added in lines in the ini file to allow Win7 to see it as a viable driver. The actual driver itself is Win7 compatible, for the most part (most drivers are), Win7 just doesnt find the information in the ini to allow it to install. This method has worked well in the past, but I think there may be a slight incompatibility with the driver itself causing the BSOD issue. I am going to try to fix it.

so last night i had a little bit of sucess in getting this to work...

i uninstalled the "unknown device" (ishow DAC) from Win7
reinstalled WinXP in VMWare
installed ishow (in xp)
plugged in DAC and laser and....it works!

the only thing im having trouble with now is when im messing around with ishow and i play an idl file or draw something then hit Run the image will display for as long as the idl file tells it to? then it stops and when i try to play another file nothing comes out of the projector. to fix this i have restart the virtual machine. its quite annoying. ive tried just closing ishow and starting it back up but that doesnt work either....i dont know...

but from the little i was able to play with it im loving projector + computer!

denial

Ya, it would be generous to call iShow "quirky" I bit the bullet early on and purchased a copy of "a pasta named program" which worked a WHOLE lot better.
Getting it working/talking to the 'puter is a big step, congrats! :beer:

Last edited:
really? why would that be a banned word? crazyness!

but yea im about to buy it myself...along with a new DAC