Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Is this possible to do.

Hi you guys I was in a store and saw a (Digital infrared thermometer) and I saw the tip and inside looks like a diode. So I was wondering if this possible to do. Thank you. :yh:

Last edited:

the laser in there is a red laser and that is only so you can point at what you are taking the temp of. if you see above or below the laser you will see a round area (usually) and that portion is what takes the temp.

jakeGT

errr? what is possible? you didnt even state what the question was? you just said looks like a diode, is this possible to do?

Perhaps you mean take the diode out and make it a laser?

Sorry I'll try and post some pics rite now but don't know if I could do it on my phone. :yh:

the laser in there is a red laser and that is only so you can point at what you are taking the temp of. if you see above or below the laser you will see a round area (usually) and that portion is what takes the temp.

well the one I saw, was infrared you couldn't see the red dot. :thanks:

I have a digital thermometer like you are describing.
It doesn't have a diode (no reference dot for where you are measuring the temp).
That is a sensor, not a diode.
Might be able to put it into a controlled environment and make a LPM though*

@ jakeGT, sorry again but if is possible to make a digital infrared thermometer and the only reason was because I saw the inside of the tip of the object and it looks like a diode so I thought maybe some one from here may know how to build one of thus little object. Thanks again. :thanks:

I have a digital thermometer like you are describing.
It doesn't have a diode (no reference dot for where you are measuring the temp).
That is a sensor, not a diode.
Might be able to put it into a controlled environment and make a LPM though*

Well thank you for clearing that up for me, I was only saying, that it looks like a diode, cause from the top it looks like one. But thanks again. :thanks:

Yeah, no worries bro.
I looked for laser diodes EVERWHERE before I joined LPF ^_^
My local computer stores still call me up whenever they get a buildup of almost any old computer parts.
I bring them coffee and doughnuts for their trouble ;)

Yeah, no worries bro.
I looked for laser diodes EVERWHERE before I joined LPF ^_^
My local computer stores still call me up whenever they get a buildup of almost any old computer parts.
I bring them coffee and doughnuts for their trouble ;)

Oh that's cool man. Lucky you getting stuff for cheap but changing subject can someone build a digital infrared thermometer, from stuff you could buy online. :thanks:

Not really worth it, you can get the thermometer for a couple of bucks on fleabay as it is. That probably includes batteries :na:
Pretty hard to beat "made in China" on the prices!.