Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

is this normal?

when i shine the beam theres a huge circle around it. im shining at the mt. dew can and u can see part of the ring hit the box. it has some lines maybe a fingerprint on a lense? i really dont know

Picture44.jpg

How close were you to the box? I think it's normal to have some scatter around the spot.

I just got an x65 and it has a fair amount of faint goo around the spot. Normally it's eclipsed by the brightness of the dot itself. One way to check it is shine the laser onto something dark (like a piece of electrical tape.. assuming is doesn't start to burn :) )on an otherwise white wall, in a dim to dark room. Makes it easier to inspect the spray around the beam. On my x65 if I shine it onto the wall from a yard (3 feet) away there's a ring of crud about 12-14 inches in diameter roughly centered around the spot.

PS I know from experience that dust (on the lens) makes the scattering worse, and it seems the more powerful the laser the more its output can be affected by dust.. any scattering is more noticeable.

S

SenKat

I would say, remove the aperature cap, and using a Q-tip or other cotton swab, lightly moistened with 97% or better pure alcohol, clean the lense off - or use a lensepen to do it.

my laser was about 1-1.5 feet away lol. and would removing the aperature cap void the warrenty? and how do i take it off

oh  duh. the apperature caps just the front cap u screw off.. i though tit was whole front section thing.. i used alcohol on a q-tip and it make the halo pretty much go away =]
but on the sides on dot is still a pretty bright oval inside a slightly larger circle.. i cant get  a shot where it comes up in webcam pic

S

SenKat

Hmmm - if you used too much alcohol, some could have seeped in - be very gentle with it :(

I've decided I'm not going to touch or attempt to clean the lens on mine until I've ordered one of these:
lenspen.com

I've cleaned laser lenses in the past using Q-tips and lens cleaning paper, along with alcohol and other lens cleaners. Often times the cleaner - even alcohol - will leave behind a residue on the lens. I think timelord recommended the lens pen, and it apparently works well.

i cant use paypal and dont have credit card so i dont think i can get a lenspen lol but do they sell them at stores?

Hmmm, I'm not certain but radio shack might carry it or something like it.

Gazoo

jesse said:
when i shine the beam theres a huge circle around it. im shining at the mt. dew can and u can see part of the ring hit the box. it has some lines maybe a fingerprint on a lense? i really dont know

That is exactly what can happen if you burn things too close to it.

S

SenKat

Yes - radio shack, and a few camera stores sell it as well. EXCELLENT item to clean the lenses from what I have read !

well i didnt notice this before i started burning stuff because the batteries were too weak.. like when i use weak ones now i cant see it.. is it just because of the  new batteries it exposes more? orr.... the smoke really fcked it up lol?

yea i read that i want one..but do you think my problem is smoke? or could it be the way the lense is shaped or aligned? like i said i heared a ratteling noise but. i dont know

Gazoo

Just a guess but I think it is smoke. I was burning too close with a DIY red laser and the beam distortions looked like yours.
I think if you clean the lens it will clear up.