Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Is this bacteria on my lens?

GBD

I had an old O-like 405/445 lens around, so I was putting on for some laser fun. when they are far away from the diode, they focus for a very tight spot in front of the laser, where it diverges terribly onwards, screwing it further gives a very nice beam.

Now, as I was screwing this in I noticed alot of odd looking things on my lens, that remind me of bacteria, is this actually bacteria? or just random things like dust, oil, etc?
I wouldnt have a clue where bacteria would have come from and deposited on the lens either.

Raw diode output:

Lens in place, defocused on my wall:

Looks cool and all IMO, but I wonder if it is actually bacteria..
either way.. that lens needs some serious cleaning.

Last edited:

anselm

Bacteria?
LOL wut!
Did you dip that lens in some food?:D

That's just dirty, try the q-tip+alcohol thing....

You saw them move?
In a Class IV focused laser beam of wavelenght known to kill bacteria?
:crackup:

Even if they were bacteria, you would not see them move.

Nope, OP, just dust and dirt and sh*t. Q-tip, some high percentage Alcohol (90%) and GENTLE touch. Cotton will scratch glass so use Q-tip only to apply the solvent on it, don't rub it.

GBD

lol.

Well, at least now I know.
Nothing was moving when I turned the laser on, and I dont expect it to, 1.2W of laser power and @445nM, I would seriously doubt bacteria will survive long on the lens with that blasting them.

So I was mostly just wondering if it where dead bacteria (as it resembled them to me). well, either way, like said it is most likly just random shit that found its way onto the lens. (thats what you get for not properly storing your lens)

I cleaned up the mess now, and proceded to point at random items in my room.
(its an addiction aint it?)

GBD

Its all good, I use a microfiber cloth and compressed air anyway (air mostly for dust).. im not really a fan of q-tips.

You be trolling, certainly!:D:D

It's some dust particles that you rub onto the lens with the q-tip that can cause scratches, not the cotton...
Uhh seriously, I think I have read that fact on the forum here. And it's not improbable. Either way, lens suffer :p

Dey see me trollin',
Dey hatin'...
Moderatin' and tryna' catch me postin' dirty!

Arayan

Even if they were bacteria, you would not see them move.
LOL... a class IV laser is able to kill a unicellular organism (like bacteria) by causing severe necrotic damage and total cell lysis in a matter of seconds. A dead bacterium would be invisible ;)

Not bacteria. A lens is a very hostile place for microbes. There's no food or water, and... OH, you're right in the path of a laser beam. :)

mod101

LOL... a class IV laser is able to kill a unicellular organism (like bacteria) by causing severe necrotic damage and total cell lysis in a matter of seconds. A dead bacterium would be invisible ;)

Incorrect, just because a bacteria dies doesn't make it invisible, I guess you have never bacterial stains to test for bacteria. They are certainly visible on slides after killing them with flames and ethanol and other cleaning agents.

405 nm laser light takes care of most bacteria pretty fast ;) unless, of course, they are the freaky type that can survive in nuclear reactors.
There is a small chance it is bacteria, but it is most likely dirt/oil.

Arayan

Incorrect, just because a bacteria dies doesn't make it invisible, I guess you have never bacterial stains to test for bacteria. They are certainly visible on slides after killing them with flames and ethanol and other cleaning agents.

to study bacteria are used some substances called fixatives because are able to "fix" the cells without destroying them. Also ethanol could be a fixative...
However I doubt that a class IV laser can be a fixative :whistle: