Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Is this an plausable way to make a pulsing laser?

I had bought this.. http://cba.sakura.ne.jp/kit01/kit_310.htm (scroll down on there for pics)
Heres a place where you can buy it, im sure you could find it cheaper somewhere else tho i bought it for like 8 dollors from some catalog i dont remember...http://www.gibsonteched.com/vmk147.html

It seems to be the perfect circuit to make it pulse a laser, you can change the pulsing so it is so  fast that you dont  recongize  it is pulsing, which is what you would want for the laser to do.

Im pretty sure if you bypass a few resistors and put a pot on one of the larger ones you could use it to power a dvd burner diode and be able to adjust the current.  You might also need to put some transistor thermal grease on the transistors since those always get so hot.

Does it sound like something that would work or would it kill the diode somehow.  It was also very easy to put together just drop the components in and solder right up, they messed up on mine tho and put a wrong resistor in but luckly the resistor i needed was just 1k so i had one laying around.

It is also fun to turn on a cealing fan then turn off the lights, you can shine it at the celing fan and if you get it to the right speed it will look like the fan just stopped moving :D

...lazer... ;D ;D ;D

JECS

Re: Is this an plausable way to make a pulsing las

my idea was to just use an lm555. the circuit, if custom built, would be much smaller and would operate up to around 1Mhz.
its also a pretty basic design. just replace the speaker with a laser and play with cap values to get a faster pulse. gonna need like a 9v or something to power it though. i made one attempt using 3-6v and it was very dim. i think i may have even tried with 9 and it was still wasnt bright.

The good thing about this one is you just have to turn the potetiometer to adjust how fast or slow it pulsus.

...lazer... ;D ;D ;D

well with the 555 timer you can set pretty much any speed you want

JECS

yeah i still have a pot on it to adjust the speed. right now i got it hooked to a speaker and im hitting ultrasonic frequencies, but i can turn it down to make it audible

Switch

Are you sure it provides proper on and off time for a pulsed laser? It would be kinda cool to make a <300mW pulsed burner from dvd diodes.

JECS

no. i dont know what a proper pulse would be. i remember seeing it before and im pretty sure that a 555 at least came close. i havent bothered checking to see what components would even be needed to hit the maximum frequency, i just use what few parts i have laying around from previous projects. i just know i can hit in a range of 40khz+. i can go from audible to mind numbing, unfortunately i dont have any way to test above hearing range.

Download oscilloscope for windows (VA visual analyser 4), which is a free software scope/frequency meter/volt meter/signal analyser, make a voltage limiting probe to plug in to the "line in" socket of your computer and test away....... If you need any further info I will post it when I get back to my desktop computer.

Regards rog8811

Seems like a good idea. What's the circuit's current rating?

JECS

rog8811 said:
Download oscilloscope for windows (VA visual analyser 4), which is a free software scope/frequency meter/volt meter/signal analyser, make a voltage limiting probe to plug in to the "line in" socket of your computer and test away....... If you need any further info I will post it when I get back to my desktop computer.

Regards rog8811

hm.. im sure ive seen that before... im not sure why i havent done it yet

it says it draws 40ma and from how bright the leds lok it seems like it does, i suppose with a few bypassed resistors and changing the values of others it could work.

Im sure there are plenty of other circuits that coulddo this but this one is something that you wouldnt need so much knowledge in elctronics, its everything you need with even a circuit board in one kit that practickly anyone can do just drop them in the holes and solder.

This does go high enough for use on a pulsing laser, if you turn the pot to max you cant see the leds flicker at all which is what you would want if you pulsed a laser, and hopefully since it pulsus these diodes can be pushed harder and made to produce even more output then they currently are.

...lazer... ;D ;D ;D