Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Is this 612nm? Military He-Ne tube from auction site

celas

Hello

I stumbled upon an auction with a disco laser made from military he-ne tube. On the photo it doesnt look red, can someone who knows better tell me which wavelength it is?

LASER DYSKOTEKOWY zbudowany na bazie lasera z pojazdu wojskowego ! Bochnia ? OLX.pl

Thanks in advance. If its really 612 or at least 59something (yellow one) I would buy it in an instant

UPDATE: Now I am almost positive its 612 nm, just need someone to confirm it

Last edited:

My bet is on it being red. Red He-Ne's run around 632.8nm, which is a reddish orange color, which his pictures suggest. Being he obviously doesn't have a high quality camera, it probably is viewing a high concentration of that orange-ish red (but still most certainly red) as orange.

tl;dr: there is a 99.9% chance this is a red He-Ne.

If you still want to take a shot at it, at least try to get a model number and manufacturer (and you can simply ask what color it is -- red or orange). That way you can be certain.

Last edited:
If I could get a closer image of the unit and power supply, I could give you a better judgment. However, it does look very red when viewing the output from the OC.

While the output does look significantly orange, that is something that commonly happens to the ~630-640nm range on cheap cameras. Especially in this case where the light is diffused due to the spirograph.

I'm pretty certain, given the application, it is a red. With visual effects, brighter is better, and reds are a lot brighter because they are available in much higher power than orange.

The orange in the rainbow in my sig pic is a 635. It's almost certainly a 632 that the camera saw funny.