Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Is there such a thing as 5mW bluray laser-diode?

I have seen various laser pointers on eBay and other sources claiming "5mW violet laser" or "5mW Bluray laser". Of course violet lasers are manufactured solely for their usefulness in Bluray players, so one must look to the power levels of Bluray laser diodes. I have indeed checked at laserpointerforums on the laser diode comparison page and found the lowest powered laser diode for Bluray player use to be rated at 60mW. This means that a 5mW diode in fact does NOT exist. Yes it is possible to underpower a laser diode, but if you don't provide it with ENOUGH power input, it is below the "lasing threshold" and so in fact is behaving as an LED, and not a laser-diode. So that must mean that all those 5mW "Bluray laser pointers" on ebay are in fact not operating as Lasers at all, but instead as well collimated violet LEDs? Can someone please explain?

Or in fact does some company actually manufacture 5mW laser diodes (possibly specifically for use in laser pointers)?

5mW of 405nm is very very dim.

All those "5mW" 405nm lasers on ebay, and other sites are typically in the 40-80mW range. Sometimes higher, rarely lower.

Lesson to take away from this... most budget laser vendors, are nothing more than dropshippers (resellers) and have no clue about what they are selling.

Nor do they care.

All those "5mW" 405nm lasers on ebay, and other sites are typically in the 40-80mW range. Sometimes higher, rarely lower.

So are they actually outputing 40 to 80 mW at 405nm? Or are they made by someone who actually decided to underpower a device that was RATED for 40 to 80 mW, so that it instead actually being powered at the specified 5mW, so that its output (if ever tested) would be shown to meet the specification of 5mW that they gave?

So are they actually outputing 40 to 80 mW at 405nm? Or are they made by someone who actually decided to underpower a device that was RATED for 40 to 80 mW, so that it instead actually being powered at the specified 5mW, so that its output (if ever tested) would be shown to meet the specification of 5mW that they gave?

They are actually outputting 40 to 80mW.

The 5mW specification means nothing.

For example: http://laserpointerforums.com/f52/amazon-pointer-3-pack-red-green-violet-72932.html

Last edited:
They are actually outputting 40 to 80mW.

The 5mW specification means nothing.

For example: http://laserpointerforums.com/f52/amazon-pointer-3-pack-red-green-violet-72932.html

It's called 5mW and accordingly has a Class IIIa label. If it were really 40 to 80mW, it would be a Class IIIb laser and by LAW would have to carry a Class IIIb label (due to it being more dangerous at higher power levels), yet it only has Class IIIa warning label on it and NOT the Class IIIb warning label (from the pics I've seen). So it couldn't POSSIBLY be more powerful (and thus more dangerous) than the warning sticker says. That would be ILLEGAL, not only because of false advertising, but because it would be carrying the wrong label as mandated by law, and would give a false impression of "safety" that might result in people being injured due to them using less safety precautions than they would need to for a 40mW to 80mW laser.

yup. That pretty much sums it up.

So in other words, those 5mW 407nm lasers are really MUCH more dangerous 40 to 80mW lasers, and are illegal, but the company making them doesn't care about the law, and they don't care if someone gets hurt by taking less safety measures than they'd need to for a laser of that power?

Things

Yes, there is such thing as a 5mW blu-ray diode. They are used in PS3's and other blu-ray readers only.

A few years back, the only way to get a 405nm diode was to rip it from a brand new PS3. Once you had it, the max you could push it to safely was about 10mW. However, I think the PHR diodes are much cheaper now, so most cheap eBay pens just use those instead.

Yes, there is such thing as a 5mW blu-ray diode. They are used in PS3's and other blu-ray readers only.

A few years back, the only way to get a 405nm diode was to rip it from a brand new PS3. Once you had it, the max you could push it to safely was about 10mW. However, I think the PHR diodes are much cheaper now, so most cheap eBay pens just use those instead.

PS3? I wonder what the pinout and specs are for this model of laser diode? Forward voltage drop? Typically used current level? Anyone have any idea what the specs are for the model of laser diode used in the PS3?

Last edited:
As to the exact power... who knows. I'm sure they vary wildly. I have not purchased any 405nm pointers, so I can not speak to their actual powers. I have purchased two "5mW" greens that I measured at 15mW and 45mW. Who knows how much of that is actually IR.

The pointers are made by Chinese companies who are not bound by US law. They could care less what the lasers do once they are paid for and leave the factory.

search for KES-400A

*** sorry about the double post ***

Last edited:

Things

PS3? I wonder what the pinout and specs are for this model of laser diode? Forward voltage drop? Typically used current level? Anyone have any idea what the specs are for the model of laser diode used in the PS3?

IIRC the PS3 diode actually has 5 pins, as it has a built in red diode also, However, you can not operate both at the same time without a multi focal lens. Search the forum for KES-400A and you should get the info you're after.

EDIT: T beat me to it :)

Last edited:
It's called 5mW and accordingly has a Class IIIa label. If it were really 40 to 80mW, it would be a Class IIIb laser and by LAW would have to carry a Class IIIb label (due to it being more dangerous at higher power levels), yet it only has Class IIIa warning label on it and NOT the Class IIIb warning label (from the pics I've seen). So it couldn't POSSIBLY be more powerful (and thus more dangerous) than the warning sticker says. That would be ILLEGAL, not only because of false advertising, but because it would be carrying the wrong label as mandated by law, and would give a false impression of "safety" that might result in people being injured due to them using less safety precautions than they would need to for a 40mW to 80mW laser.

So in other words, those 5mW 407nm lasers are really MUCH more dangerous 40 to 80mW lasers, and are illegal, but the company making them doesn't care about the law, and they don't care if someone gets hurt by taking less safety measures than they'd need to for a laser of that power?

Glad you figured it out.

The companies are not making illegal lasers. They are making lasers that are imported illegally.

Which government should shut them down?
Why would the Chinese shut down a business that brings millions of yuan into the country.
How can the USA enforce our laws in China?

Last edited: