Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Is there any way to mod this? pics

This is a "true 5mw" purchased from DX in 2009. It doesn't look like any other boards I have seen. Turning the "potentiometer" doesnt really do much, although when the flat spot is at 3 o-clock it doesnt turn on at all. I am looking to maybe swap out a resistor or something maybe?

5594098598_aec65c8331_b.jpg

5594098078_379aabc6c4_b.jpg

5593509869_60aac6f77e_b.jpg

Helios

You could put some stickers on it but any more modding than that and it'll be toast. If you want more power buy a metered higher power laser.

rhd

If you painted it green, that might increase the perceived brightness of the module itself... :thinking:

That is a common green driver. If its a 5mW laser leave it at that. Its probably turned up all the way already. This is why you see little to no difference.

Plus your eyes cant really tell the difference when pot modding a 5 mW green laser.

It will die very shortly after you pot mod it.

Just buy or make a better laser if you want more power and you will still have this one working.

Helios, rhd...I appreciate the sarcastic unhelpful responses.

Where can I buy a cheap higher powered green laser that will ship to the US?

Helios

Helios, rhd...I appreciate the sarcastic unhelpful responses.

Where can I buy a cheap higher powered green laser that will ship to the US?

Apologies but 30 seconds spent searching the forum would have answered this question as it is ask practically every single day. Rayfoss has some very powerful lasers for great prices. Make sure you have laser glasses first though. :beer:

Depending on what you consider cheap.?

FocalPrice.com but thats a guessing game. You never know what you are going to get.

O-like.com Thats a good place and you get what you pay for.

RayFoss.com Most of the time you get what you pay for. They seem to be getting better now.

They sounded pretty Helpful to me. Gave you advice on not to touch your laser to keep it working and directed you to buy a better laser. As Stated If you did a few serches you could of found a seller recommended from the members of this site and buy from O-like or Rayfross. Learn to take a joke or you wont go far HERE.

Wez Don't Like No Pin-Heads Around Here, Peck. (Willow Ref)

check the forum for build ideas and parts sources and slap together your own which will be WAY more satisfying and educational than anything you'll find in China and you'll have a functional laser much quicker. Build youw own!

the thing with pot modding a 5mw is that you will get it to 10mw or maybe 15 mw. so the brightness isn't going to be overwhelming. so you are probably increasing/decreasing power but with out a laser power meter you will never know.

michael.

Can't believe no one mentioned this yet but your pictures are freakn' huge!
Resize them so people don't have to scroll left and right.

rhd

Can't believe no one mentioned this yet but your pictures are freakn' huge!
Resize them so people don't have to scroll left and right.

LOL, what screen resolution are you on? They fill maybe half my screen, and I'm just on a 20"

Thanks for the replies everyone! I probably should have done a bit of research before, but the forums are a bit overwhelming for a laser newb and I wasn't really sure what I was looking for. It sounds like there is no way to pot mod this laser. Turning the potentiometer doesnt tighten it or anything, it just spins continuously.

So far I have learned that focalprice.com ships to the USA. Any other chinese sites that do also? I really like manafont.com but not sure they ship lasers to the US.

I am looking for a small sized laser so I can keep it on me a lot of the time, I use mine to point out satellites flying overhead to curious onlookers. I use a free android app called "Heavens Above" to locate the satellites currently flying over. it is a top notch app!

I think I am going to buy this one "200mW 532nm Green Beam Laser Pointer with Keychain", and pick up some trustfire 10440's from dino direct. (4 for 7 bucks)!

here is a video of a guy measuring this laser at 115mw

Last edited:
the thing with pot modding a 5mw is that you will get it to 10mw or maybe 15 mw. so the brightness isn't going to be overwhelming. so you are probably increasing/decreasing power but with out a laser power meter you will never know.

michael.

Thanks for the replies everyone! I probably should have done a bit of research before, but the forums are a bit overwhelming for a laser newb and I wasn't really sure what I was looking for. It sounds like there is no way to pot mod this laser. Turning the potentiometer doesnt tighten it or anything, it just spins continuously.

So far I have learned that focalprice.com ships to the USA. Any other chinese sites that do also? I really like manafont.com but not sure they ship lasers to the US.

I am looking for a small sized laser so I can keep it on me a lot of the time, I use mine to point out satellites flying overhead to curious onlookers. I use a free android app called "Heavens Above" to locate the satellites currently flying over. it is a top notch app!

I think I am going to buy this one "200mW 532nm Green Beam Laser Pointer with Keychain", and pick up some trustfire 10440's from dino direct. (4 for 7 bucks)!

here is a video of a guy measuring this laser at 115mw

the pot does do something but the gain is so small. and a lot of pots just turn. it probably isnt broken. especially because it will turn off when you get to a certain point.

also i think you can still get in on this group buy http://laserpointerforums.com/f55/ordering-now-wicked-lasers-core-laser-gb-28-ea-60558.html