Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Is there a need in a driver?

If i have a regular LED all I need to do is connect to it a resistor and a power source... And if i have a laser diode, which is just like a light emitting diode, why do I need a full circuit for a driver?
My laser diode works on 2.2V and 1.2A and uses 1.5Watt of power... do i really need a driver with LM317 and a capacitor?

Materials - wise, LEDs and LDs are indeed very similar, but their structure differences leave LDs more susceptible to electrically induced damage - ESD, spikes etc.

Things

The #1 cause of laser diodes failing is from catastrophic optical damage, whereby increased power levels damage reflective coatings on the laser cavity, meaning it no longer (or very faintly) lases. LED's can't fail this way, thus they are much more tolerant.

You CAN power a laser diode from a resistor IF you can be 100% sure the voltage will remain constant, so that the power into the laser diode is always the same. Alternatively you can run the laser diode well below it's specifications and it'd survive on a resistor - but most people here push them to the limits, so you need active regulation.

Last edited:
Thanks!!!
Another question, On optics if a laser light of one long wave length passes through a lens or a material other then void or air it shortens its wave length...
If my laser is 808nm and i run it through a 450nm lens, the wave length will be 625nm, right?

Last edited:
The delta lambda is more of an effect of the refraction index of the optic piece - how quickly does a material absorb and re-emit an incident photon? The change is usually on the order of fractions of a nanometer - or nanometers difference for very slow materials. The difference also Only appears while the wavefront is Inside the optic. Once the beam reaches the transition to air, it will again become its original wavelength/original speed.

Thanks!!!
Another question, On optics if a laser light of one long wave length passes through a lens or a material other then void or air it shortens its wave length...
If my laser is 808nm and i run it through a 450nm lens, the wave length will be 625nm, right?

:eek:

I would suggest that you do a little reading and research
on the forum or even Google about Lasers.
Try searching Coherent Laser light..

To answer your question.............. NO!!!

BTW... you are in the wrong section of the Forum.
This is were this Thread should have been posted....

Blu-Ray & Violet Lasers - Laser Pointers

Jerry

You are right! I have forgot that it changes the wave in the optic...
Thanks anyway!!!

ZvwY2.jpg

The wavelength changes back as soon as it exits the material again. Color (energy) of a photon is technically based on frequency anyway, and frequency does not change with a change in the medium.