Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Is my diode dead?

Pluxx

Ok so recently i have tried building a new 2W laser using the M140 diode from dtr's laser shop. Even though i killed 1 driver and had to order a replacement,
it seems that mi diode may have died as well :(

The only sad part about it is that i lost a lot of money prob over 70 USD without including the diode. But i ordered a new 1.8A driver from survival laser and made sure it worked and outputs 1.8A however, when i try turning the laser on only a faint blue light appears. Does this mean that my diode is dead? Since i use 2 18630 batteries (3.7V) for a total of around 7 V depending on how much power there's left. I thought maybe its because of the high voltage but i doubt thats the problem. And it only appears to light up for a short amount after i press the button to turn it on after that it shuts down again.

So if you guys could help me with this situation i would gladly appreciate it :)

NOTE:

IF you need specific parts i have used please ask :)

Last edited:

Pluxx

Tell us how did you killed it?

I dont know tbh.. I'm guessing its because of the first driver i used which was a variable current one which was set to 1.9A but it shouldn't have killed it. When I hooked it up at first it flashed a bright light but then i disconnected it and for some reason when i turned it off and tried adjusting the Amerage the driver stopped working :(

Yes the diode is on its last step you need a new diode

If you could tell me how this has come to be and why it does that it would be great

BTW if you guys want i can send a photo on how it looks

IDK, I've heard adjusting the current to a diode can cause a spike and kill them, supposed to set the current first before hooking up the diode. Maybe that caused the problem? Are you sure the driver doesn't have a problem?

can you post some pictures , and the links what parts you got !!

Last edited:

Pluxx

can you post some pictures , and the links what parts you got !!

Here are some pictures and if you guys want i can send you the video of the lasers behavior

NOTE: I used another diode (the one with the black heatsink, 1.8W) to see if it was the diodes fault but they both behaved the same way. Also the Copper heatsink diode is the original 2W diode that i was supposed to use. And the images with the multimeter showing numbers indicate the following: 1.87A and 8.05V

PICTURES: Postimage.org / gallery - IMG 20160116 145749, IMG 20160116 145752, IMG 20160116 145756

And here are the parts:
2W 445nm M Type M140 Blue Laser Diode Copper Module w Leads Aixiz Glass Lens | eBay

Survival Laser Driver

Survival Laser Stainless Steel Host Assembly, Extended and Tapered Heat Sink

If you need anything else feel free to ask :)

so you hook it up with just the bare module?

By bare module you mean the diode itself? If so no it was with a heatsink.

IDK, I've heard adjusting the current to a diode can cause a spike and kill them, supposed to set the current first before hooking up the diode. Maybe that caused the problem? Are you sure the driver doesn't have a problem?

Yeah but i adjusted it without the diode i just used a multimeter to see the current and used the screw to adjust it.

ALSO: Thanks A lot for trying to herlp guys.

Last edited:
Alright is the batteries fully charged? Since we don't know the exact problem we will start eliminating process. And it should run with 2 battery in series.

Pluxx

Alright is the batteries fully charged? Since we don't know the exact problem we will start eliminating process. And it should run with 2 battery in series.

Yup 2 18360 batteries both in a series for a total output of around 8 V and yes they are fully charged.

Aha found the problem!!! you are using ultrafire batteries, i assume? as i see from the picture. I reccomend you to buy AW IMR brand battery from Survival laser and that will fix your problem...

Pluxx

Aha found the problem!!! you are using ultrafire batteries, i assume? as i see from the picture. I reccomend you to buy AW IMR brand battery from Survival laser and that will fix your problem...

Ok ill try getting new batteries in the following days and tell u the results. Hopefully it works :p